Thread: Monster Articulated Hollowing System

Monster Articulated Hollowing System

Does anyone know the current availability of the Monster articulated hollowing systems? It doesn't appear from the website, http://monster-lathe-tools.com/, that they are offering it anymore.

I have been reading the blogs here until my head is spinning. I have a Jet 1642 EVS lathe and would like an articulated arm system. I am not interested in making my own (at least at this time).

If the Monster is not longer available, what system is recommended. I would like to make urn style hollow forms, probably up to 8-10 inches in diameter and 10-12" deep.

Thanks for your thoughts even though I realize this is at least a partially recycled conversation.

2. I have one, Jenny. I believe that I read that the family that took over the business after the owner’s death have decided to suspend the business. They kept it going for a period of time, but I have not heard anything else in the last year or so.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Jenny,

I had a Monster articulated system which I thought was very good. However, I sold it and bought the Trent Bosch system which I like a lot better. You might check his system out to see if it would meet your needs.

There is a gentleman in our woodturning club that make a very very good one. He doesn't have a website and makes them to order. If you PM me I'll send you his email address and you can contact him. If I could afford one it would be his.

Forgot to mention he has a camera mounting system to see where the cutter is inside the vessel too.
    Last edited by Peter Christensen; 10-14-2018 at 12:29 PM.

I have used the Monster system and replaced it with, what I think is an even better articulated system, the Gizmo from JT Turning Tools.
    Very high quality system.
    They have a website at https://jtturningtools.com
    Tom Steyer is very good to deal with.

There was one in the SMC classifieds a couple of months ago. May still be there.

I also have the Gizmo system and like it very much. Gizmo is the articulating support. With it I use the cutting tools that John Jordan sells: https://www.johnjordanwoodturning.co..._and_More.html

When you look at the Monster system, it isn't rocket science. It is $20 of steel and some minor machining. I made my own guided by the design of Captain Eddie Casteline (sp.), snake hollower. If you have a drill press and aren't all thumbs, it is pretty easy to make. But if you have more money than time, buy something complete.
    Last edited by Brice Rogers; 10-15-2018 at 12:42 PM.

I have the Monster (both systems) and it has been a work horse over the past 10 years or better. Unfortunately as stated above it is no longer being made. Take a look at Tim Yoder's Elbo tool which is very reasonably priced and super easy to set up.