Quote Originally Posted by Audie Milner View Post
Another noob question.

I’m planing on stacking and drying these in my shop. I know they need air flow to help them dry so I’ll just keep a fan set on low blowing on them. I also plan on using ratchet straps. Is this a bad idea?

The shop is not air conditioned
I've heard that is not always a good idea to have a fan blowing directly on the stack or it can dry the surface too quickly and cause problems. Maybe one somewhere across the room for gently air movement. Seems to me you need air to move but no more than it takes to move the moisture that comes from the boards, and that's pretty slow.

I've tried straps and clamps for small amounts of wood. One possible problem is as the wood shrinks you have to remember to tighten periodically or you lose the pressure. A bunch of weight on top from concrete blocks or something will provide a constant weight. If your layers are more than one board wide then ratchet straps also squeeze the boards together from the sides which you don't necessarily want - I like a little space between each board for vertical air flow. Could use cauls and put squeeze each end for the pressure. But weights would be simpler.

If drying on concrete floor that might have moisture coming through it maybe allow a bit extra space at the bottom, or even spread plastic sheeting directly on the floor under the risers.

If you haven't air dried lumber be sure the stickers are aligned vertically when looking at the side of the stack.

air_drying_image.jpg

BTW, I don't stack quite like this - outside I put down two rows of cinder blocks, lay two rows of 3x3 or 4x4 lengthwise, then put my first row of stickers on top of those.

JKJ