Thread: The Assisted Opening Knife - A Great Tool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    How handy is that to have one hand free to grasp the box while you safely open and close you cutting tool with your other hand!
    Handy and a real safety issue around the farm too. I once had a haltered horse spook while she was tied, flailing, trying to rear, was about to hurt herself badly. I pulled the knife clipped to right front pocket, flicked open, cut the rope - disaster averted.

One-handed (safe) opening and closing is so useful all around the farm I'd hate to use something else. I have several knives that work like this but my favorite is a SOG Visionary I. I like this one so much I'd be an emotional wreck if I lost it so I keep four in my "sharpened" box just in case, swap out the dull ones, and sharpen them all at once when needed. (I once practiced pulling the clipped knife into my hand, opening, closing, then reclipping onto the pocket - my best time was five cycles in about five seconds!)

JKJ

My go-to one-handed operating knife (both opening and closing) is the Spyderco Paramilitary 2. A flick opens it up. Mash the lock button, flick it back and it's closed. Awesome knife, and made in the USA. One of the things you don't get with a $20 knife is a steel that will sharpen to a keen edge and keep it for any length of time. The Paramilitary is offered in a wide range of steels to suit anyone's requirements (e.g., toughness, edge-holding, stain resistance). This is the kind of knife you can pass down to your Grandkids.

Not an advertisement - I've just been a dedicated Spyderco owner for 35 years.