Thread: Laser For Large Format Metal Cutting

Laser For Large Format Metal Cutting

Hello All - I'm new to the Sawmill. Found it in an online search for more info on lasers for sheet metal work. I posted this in general metalworking and didn't get much response so I'll try it here. If this is in the wrong section moderators - please move.

I'm exploring options to bring my cutting in house (currently done by a sheet metal "job shop" using a production Trumpf laser (3-5kW) which is not in my price range unless I find a smoking deal on a used one). Honestly I'm not even ready to buy anything for a year or so, but trying to start doing my homework now. I want a 5' x 10' sheet capacity and would LIKE to be able to cut 3/16" or even 1/4" steel at times - but high majority of work in 18 ga steel.

I've seen Vytek, Kern, Trotec among others. Power output is significantly lower (around 400w peak) than the industrial sheet metal lasers. I'm not sure if what I want to do is even realistic for these "in between" machines? It seems like most users here are doing engraving with their lasers? Does anyone use one regularly for sheet metal cutting? I plan to buy an American made machine if at all possible. I have looked at plasma and the cut quality is just not acceptable to me after using laser or waterjet for so many years. I may be forced to look at waterjet or a used industrial laser to do what I want? I'm wondering how speed of cut on these "in between" lasers compare to the larger machines. I know it's slower - but haven't got the specs yet to see just how much?

Appreciate any user input or suggestions for options to consider
    thanks!

Good luck-- I've been searching for a used plain-old 50w galvo fiber laser, and all I can find are old fiber cutting machines such as you're looking for. But the average price is WELL into 6 figures for USED machines. And like anything used...... One of my ski lift customers bought a used laser about 4 years ago to start cutting their own SS panels, and they had to spend over $20k just to get it to cut a round hole due to wear.

But my knowledge of such things is limited to mostly 'bad news', so hopefully my experiences aren't typical
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I have a 1kW fiber laser with 1300x2500mm cutting area on order from China. It should be heading my way soon. It cost USD 37,000. It should be able to cut up to 10mm steel (albeit not very fast).
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Good luck-- I've been searching for a used plain-old 50w galvo fiber laser, and all I can find are old fiber cutting machines such as you're looking for. But the average price is WELL into 6 figures for USED machines. And like anything used...... One of my ski lift customers bought a used laser about 4 years ago to start cutting their own SS panels, and they had to spend over $20k just to get it to cut a round hole due to wear.

But my knowledge of such things is limited to mostly 'bad news', so hopefully my experiences aren't typical
    Kev, I tried to send you a message and it says you don't accept private messages. I'm selling my 50 watt if you're interested.