Thread: Shaker(?) style dining table build

Shaker(?) style dining table build

I bought a bunch of reclaimed white oak (supposedly anyway) boards from a guy on Craigslist and decided they would be used for a dining table. Figured I'd take some pictures along the way and share.

First up is a rough board
    P9290125.jpg

getting tamed by the scrub plane
    P9230037.jpg

Alongside a leg already shaped from another board
    P9230038.jpg

Removing scrub marks with the jack plane
    P9230039.jpg

Flattening and removing twist
    P9230040.jpg

Joined the aprons to the legs with haunched MT joints following advice from a FWW article. I pinned them afterwards with 1/4" dowels.

Test fit
    P9290123.jpg

Close up. The mortise is a little too deep I think...
    P9290124.jpg

After assembling all the aprons and legs, I thought the structure could benefit from another cross piece in the middle so decided to use a sliding dovetail joint (my first one!).
    I cut a guide block at about 10 degrees and used that to chisel the rail and saw the slot. Why a stopped sliding dovetail you ask? Well the piece was supposed to go all the way through
    but when I was measuring the cut my kids were screaming at each other and I must have mis-marked it after "attending" to them. It was only after making the cut on the bandsaw that I realized
    what I'd done, and there wasn't enough material left in the board to get another piece

Cutting the slot with saw, chisel, and router plane
    PA080342.jpg

Assembled frame
    PA080343.jpg

Not gonna lie I'm pretty proud of these =) Wish the M&T joints on the aprons were as precise...
    PA080344.jpg

I started preparing the boards for the table top now. Seeing as how these are not very clear boards (several knots and some very wavy grain) and the color varies somewhat from piece to piece, I'm wondering if maybe a light stain might help everything look more uniform in the end? Not too familiar with finishing in general, any advice is appreciated!

Now to keep working on those boards without tearing out all over the place...
    Last edited by Steven Mikes; 10-11-2018 at 12:08 AM.

<also reserved>

Looks like a very good start to me and that is a nice looking dovetail connection for the center support piece as well. You can always add in color, especially if you have an uneven color look to the finished top. I tend to stay with aniline dyes for various reasons, one being that I can vary the strength of the mix to apply to individual boards or areas of uneven coloring when trying to make the whole thing as even in coloring as possible. I apply a dewaxed shellac over the dye, then topcoat with whatever I feel will best address expected duty the furniture will encounter. For a table, I'd go with poly for expected heavy use and ability to clean with a damp rag. As always, save the scraps to test your color selection before applying. What style did you have in mind for the top design? Thanks for sharing the build photos.
    David

Very nice Start.

Blog Entries
    Well done Steven – that looks great! Personally, sliding dovetails are a challenge for me and yours turned out awesome.

I look forward to the rest of the build. Thanks for your post and pics.

Best, Mike

Looks great so far, I like the lines. I have fumed oak in the past but would not recommend that route if you are trying to even the tone. Will look forward to seeing more progress.

Best
    Chris

That's nice work! I like the style. I'm impressed with your sliding DT - I've done them with a tailed router but never by hand. If that's your first try, you knocked it out of the park!

Look forward to seeing the rest of the build.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Couldn't figure out how to edit my old reserved post so I'll just continue here:

Dug up a couple more picture of the apron joints. After putting the top together it looked pretty bad (with all the chips, tear out, and different coloring) so I decided to paint it. Put 2 coats of milk paint, then some BLO. I also decided that since the top looked pretty crappy anyway it wouldn't hurt anything to just nail it down with cut nails rather than bother to attach the top properly. It works perfectly well as a table, been using it for a couple weeks now. The finish looks pretty flat though, thinking of putting a coat of paste wax or something to give some shine. Maybe danish oil+poly mix? Not sure how either of those would go on ontop of what's there already.

My wife's camera is currently out of commission so I can't take a decent picture. Will try to remember to post one when it gets back.

P9270099.jpg

P9270101.jpg

PA070241.jpg

PA280405.jpg

For the finish, I've sealed milk paint with a homemade "danish oil" (mixed up some poly and BLO, wipe on and wipe off just like BLO). 3 or 4 coats should give it a nice satin sheen.

Are the planks in your top glued together? If so you may have issues when the top shrinks or expands. Cut nails are somewhat flexible but that top is very wide, so there could be more movement than the nails can accommodate which would cause the top to split around the nails. Since you aren't that happy with the top anyways, maybe just let it ride and see what happens. If it splits, you have an excuse to try again.

Nice joinery work.

Thanks Robert! I'll give that mix a try. Already planning on a new table in a year or two And chairs to go with it...