Thread: Restoring redwood burl live edge slab table

Blog Entries

Restoring redwood burl live edge slab table

I recently acquired a redwood burl live edge slab coffe table. It’s about 72” long. When I got it, the top was stripped of any finish but in horrible condition. That’s not a problem, an after noon with my belt and ROS sanders have it in good order. The burl and grain pattern on the top is awesome, not disappointed as I really couldn’t tell what I was working with until it was sanded.

what I am having a hard time with is stripping the sides of the tabletop and the base.
    C18E06F1-E6D3-4F24-B020-9F1E4848BAB0.jpg
    75ACB342-EBAD-42F3-AEF3-879FF7F313D9.jpg

I started romoving some some of the old finish and weathered wood with my deemed and also with a wire brush made to be used on an electric drill. It’s slow work, and the wire of course leaves marks in the soft redwood. Is there a better way to do this? The old finish was done real poorly with huge globs of what appear to be epoxy. A lot of it can just be peeled off.

second question is the big hole in the top.

2EDDB102-A493-4B8A-BE55-360D908F5999.jpg

Its going to to be very hard to clean it out. I was thinking of filling it with epoxy colored with dye or pigment, probably orange. Any thoughts.

I know this could could probably go in the finishing forum but I posted here because the reason for my concern is I want to sell it for a profit. Not a huge profit, but this is a hobby for me and if I was set on keeping it in my own house I probably wouldn’t worry so much and wouldn’t epoxy the hole as I don’t really like that look. Any insight? I’m thinking filling with epoxy is all the craze and would probably make it a lot easier to sell with a shiny glittery element to it. Thanks
    Last edited by Zac wingert; 10-11-2018 at 6:04 PM.

It is probably epoxy as that was the rage in the 1970's. At least in California. Can you say decoupage. Can epoxy be dissolved by acetone or something?
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    It is probably epoxy as that was the rage in the 1970's. At least in California. Can you say decoupage. Can epoxy be dissolved by acetone or something?
    Bill D
    I’d like to know too.

I wouldn't fill that hole, personally. It's a natural design element.

On the edges, I'd use a chemical stripper to get the majority, if not all, of the existing finish off the edges before using anything mechanical, especially since this is pretty soft material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have had good results cleaning up live and irregular edges/surfaces using walnut shells in my Harbor Freight sand blaster. Not sure about fully removing epoxy but does leave a consistent "etched" looking patina that covers well with polyurethane, etc. The shell blasting doesn't erode solid wood and cleans up the cambium layer nicely. Worth a try--do it outside!!

Power washer. Seriously.

Earlier this year I found a bench made of hemlock. It was outside for 8 years, black and covered with lichen. The power washer cleaned in up really nice. I've sanded it and its now ready for oil.

Blog Entries
    Show Off!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Show Off!!
    45C32B11-7BBB-44A0-A75D-EB62EBE5D448.jpg can’t help it.. haha

applied chemical stripper two time on one side. It’s working, but will probably need one more application and pressure wash.

Gonna buy a pressure washer because I’ve been needing one for around the house. Where I live it rains year round and everything outdoor grows mold and moss.

i am looking at at 2800 psi washer. Is there a threshold for too much pressure for this table project? Thanks for all the help.

Also, what is the range of market value for a piece like this? Assuming I do a decent job. Might end up just keeping it but hopefully I can sell it for enough profit to pay for the pressure washer, $300.

You can easily lower the pressure by getting larger nozzle tips. The bigger hole lowers the tip pressure.

For pressure washing wood, you absolutely want a wide-angle nozzle that greatly reduces the pressure so you don't damage the material. Don't get too close to it, either, as that concentrates the spray. It only takes a split second to do serious damage!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes, be careful with the pressure. For what it's worth, I use a pressure washer to de-bark live edge wood, and find that it just does a fantastic job of removing the bark and cambium without touching the natural surface of the sapwood. My pressure washer makes 2300psi (actually measured), and I can't get the nozzle close enough to do undesired damage.