Thread: Almost a Tool Gloat. . . Definitely a Scam

Almost a Tool Gloat. . . Definitely a Scam

Recently a "used" but new in box Rikon 10-324 band saw on Amazon for $500 including tax and shipping. It was listed by a third party seller who also manufactures and sells wooden corn hole games on the site. The instructions said to email the seller first for additional information. She replied the details. After stating I would buy it, I received an invoice for the saw with instructions that the only acceptable payment was an Amazon gift card. The gift card could only be purchased at brick and mortar stores like CVS or Safeway. To process the payment a photo of the card numbers and receipt had to be emailed account not associated with Amazon. Basically, it was setup for the entire transaction to take place out side of Amazon.

So I'll give it a day or two for the seller to respond and then contact Amazon about fraud. This seller is really risking her ability to sell her main product on Amazon by using her marketplace for this kind of stunt. Funny thing, her business is located one town over from where I grew up and I will be there visiting my parents in two weeks.

I would be curious to see what the response would be, if you told the seller that you would just stop by with cash in hand to buy the saw when you were in town two weeks from now.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Not only is that a violation of Amazon's seller policies (and pretty much any other selling sites' policies), it's clearly a scam as you've noted simply because of the demand for payment by essentially untraceable funds.

And the few times I've had issue with a third party seller on Amazon, Amazon has stood up for me 100% of the time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...