Thread: Proud new papa

Proud new papa

Hi all, I would like to introduce you to my new (to me) baby. 😁 This is my first lathe and I am excited to fall into the vortex. I have been watching CL for well over a year but nothing ever came up that I liked. I was just about ready to give up on used and go new. I was invited to the local Woodturners Association meeting a couple of weeks ago and was given a lead on this one for $1400. Can’t wait to start this new adventure in my woodworking adventure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great find! congratulations.
    Dean

You bought a great lathe...I believe it is the best buy out there....well thought out for turners...Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by John A Murray View Post
    This is my first lathe and I am excited to fall into the vortex.
    No fair! You cheated and bypassed the rite of passage everyone else went through - that of buying a cheap junky lathe, realizing the mistake, then replacing it with something useful.

Congrats, good clean fun!

When you get ready to mount the bed extension if you don't know about it there is a little trick that saves a lot of effort and a second person - cut a piece of 2x to fit into the space under the ways and extend enough to support the extension, get the bolts started, slide out the support and lock down the tailstock over the seam to pull the extension into alignment, then tighten the bolts. That's assuming, of course, you don't plan on mounting it low so you can turn ridiculously big things.

To get you started on spending a bunch of money right away, ditch the stock tool and look at those on the Robust web site. http://www.turnrobust.com/product/20...diameter-post/ I've tried a bunch of rests and since going to these I use them almost exclusively.

JKJ

5. For $1400, you stole it!!! Congrats!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    For $1400, you stole it!!! Congrats!
    Yes - just check the price on the bed extension alone!

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    No fair! You cheated and bypassed the rite of passage everyone else went through - that of buying a cheap junky lathe, realizing the mistake, then replacing it with something useful.

When you get ready to mount the bed extension if you don't know about it there is a little trick that saves a lot of effort and a second person - cut a piece of 2x to fit into the space under the ways and extend enough to support the extension, get the bolts started, slide out the support and lock down the tailstock over the seam to pull the extension into alignment, then tighten the bolts. That's assuming, of course, you don't plan on mounting it low so you can turn ridiculously big things.

To get you started on spending a bunch of money right away, ditch the stock tool and look at those on the Robust web site. http://www.turnrobust.com/product/20...diameter-post/ I've tried a bunch of rests and since going to these I use them almost exclusively.

JKJ
    John, in response to the quote in Red, I have spent a lot of time on this site since I joined in March of last year and kept seeing the advise to "buy your second lathe first" and thought that was wise advise. So hopefully I learned from the "mistake" of others.

Also thank you for your recommendations on mounting the extension. I like your idea better than the one in the manual. Although my wallet is frowning at me, thank you for the Robust link as well.

To all the congratulatory comments, thank you all. I knew it was an excellent deal. Normally I am the one that is a "day late and a dollar short" to these kind of deals so I feel very fortunate. For once I had some inside information that allowed me to get it before it was available to the masses.

I have been doing a lot of reading and watching videos, but my hands on learning curve is pretty much vertical at the moment. To me, that is half the fun of learning a new craft.

Thanks again everyone.

Who has two thumbs and doesn’t like you?
    ME!
    j\k

Even with my limited space I’d have been on that deal like white on rice.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

To get you started on spending a buncha of money right away, ditch the stock tool and look at those on the Robust web site. http://www.turnrobust.com/product/20...diameter-post/ I've tried a bunch of rests and since going to these I use them almost exclusively.

JKJ
    when I sold my Powermatic the one thing I kept was the 15” tool rest. I did not care for the vibration out near the end of the rest. The powermatic is heavy cast and very sturdy all the way to the end I have a American Beauty with a mustard color tool rest. Yes I file and sand the leading edge, but I also use 3/4” and 7/8” bowl gouges with a 3 hp motor. I do have a 8” robust that works well.
    Member Illiana Woodturners