Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for any electricians on here?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    This solution should not be used! If you will notice, the safety ground becomes a current carrying wire. In effect, there is no ground going to the outlet. That is strictly forbidden in the NEC and any local requirements I have ever seen. Ground and neutral should only be tied together at one place in the main panel. There are good reasons for this even though it may not be apparent to amateurs.
    What Art said!

Hi Julie, I didn't realize that the code was different for "manufactured homes"...............Regards, Rod.

You say gas for the dryer and the stove? If so just replace the outlets and install standard 120 outlets. Then replace the double breaker with a single 20 amp breaker. This assumes you have a separate ground wire to the outlets. Are the existing outlets three or four pole?
    If you are keeping the electric dryer it is more complicated. If you have a duel fuel stove it gets tough as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Julie, I didn't realize that the code was different for "manufactured homes"...............Regards, Rod.
    Rod, that's something gleaned from the cobwebs of my mind. I think manufactured homes are covered in Article 550 of the NEC. I just remember there were some striking differences. But that was a long time ago in a land far, far away.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I was waiting to be corrected on the ground-neutral thing

Assuming the existing outlet is a 4-wire unit like it should be for mobile homes, AND that the dryer will get its own breaker-

pwrd.jpg

-better? (had to add my own ground bus!)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    But, most electric stoves and dryers provide both 240v and 120v. 240v for the heating elements and 120v for the electronics and the clocks. Even my old Amana had a 120v auxillary plug.

That said, yes you are probably right, ... kinda. She may need to run another circuit, but depending on location, it may be easier for her to convert this to 120v and run a new circuit for the dryer.

If she opened the two boxes, stove and dryer, pulled the wires out, and snapped a couple of photos it would help a lot.
    That is a 220 line with a neutral designed for that application. You can not tap off a 220 line even with a neutral because that device will not be protected. The device could be a 220 20 amp with neutral circuit for the stove and the breaker is 220 20 amp breaker You add more to that circuit if you tap the line. Now that breaker is overloaded.
    John T.

Mobile homes don't always meet the NEC, as they are a listed UL ASSEMBLY. This way, they don't have to be built to meet every different local set of codes. They have a title down at the DMV. Being a mobile home, you should have a four wire recpt for dryer, which would include two hot legs, a ground and a neutral. You would only need one of the hots, neutral and ground, plus change out breaker to be a single pole. Kev's drawing shows ground being used as a neutral, which is a big NO-NO!

no -

First drawing did, revised drawing above shows all grounds an neutrals separated--
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle