Thread: Let's Talk Teak

Let's Talk Teak

While sorting thru the pile of cedar for my adirondack chair I couldn't help but notice the beautiful Teak directly behind me.

I've seen teak chairs for sale at about $700 each and have also noticed the teak shower stools at Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. Looking at the price of teak I wondered how someone can build a $700 chair using over $800 in wood.

Needless to say I learned something that day. The teak I was looking at in the store is genuine Burmese Teak, and what I'm seeing for sale is most likely Plantation Teak.

Apparently, Burmese Teak is harvested from Burma (now Myanmar) whereas Plantation Teak is cultivated elsewhere. It's basically farm grown and much much cheaper.

Does anyone know anything about this plantation teak? What does it cost per board foot? Where can I get it? What is the quality compared to harvested Burmese teak? Where can I get seeds or saplings and will it grow in Arizona? I guess it grows naturally in monsoon areas. We also have monsoons. I have some space in my yard for a small teak farm. 🌱🌳🌴🌳🌴🌳🌱

I smell a retirement plan brewing.

Not sure where you could get saplings or seedlings but my guess is they'd be difficult to import into the US if you find them outside of the country.

A quick look at my favorite hardwood supplier shows 4/4 select and better teak at 39.10 bdft. Their site indicates it comes from Burma.

FWIW, teak generally contains silica and is hard on edge tools. You might want to look at other durable hardwoods instead.

I'd check average annual rainfall in Myanmar and Arizona before investing in seeds and saplings. I think they are likely very different.

Here's some info found online (http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/AC773E/ac773e08.htm) regarding growing teak:

Rainfall and moisture

Teak grows naturally over a wide range of climatic condition, from the very dry (500 mm/year) to the very moist (up to 5,000 mm/year) (Seth and Khan, 1958; Kaosa-ard, 1981). Under very dry conditions, the tree is usually stunted and shrubby. Under very moist conditions, the tree is large and fluted and usually behaves like a semi-evergreen species; the wood quality is poor in terms of colour, texture and density. For the production of high quality wood with optimum growth, moisture conditions (as expressed by annual rainfall) should be between 1,200 and 2,500 mm with a marked dry season of 3-5 months (Kaosa-ard, 1981; Keogh, 1987). The dry season refers to a period in which the cumulative rainfall is less than 50 mm per month (Keogh, 1987).

Soil

Teak grows best on deep, well-drained alluvial soils derived from limestone, schist, gneiss, shale (and some volcanic rocks, such as basalt. Conversely, the species performs very poorly, in terms of growth and stem form, on dry sandy soil, shallow soil (hard pan soil or lower water table soil), acidic soil (pH < 6.0) derived from laterite or peatbog, and on compacted or waterlogged soil (Kulkani, 1951; Kiatpraneet, 1974; Kaosa-ard, 1981; Bunyavejchewin, 1987; Srisuksai, 1991).

Teak soil is relatively fertile with high calcium (Ca), phosphorus (P), potassium (K), nitrogen (N) and organic matter (OM) contents (Bhatia, 1954; Seth and Yadav, 1958; Samapuddhi, 1963; Kiatpraneet, 1974; Sahunalu, 1970; Kaosa-ard, 1981; Bunyavejchewin, 1987; Srisuksai, 1991). Several studies indicate that teak requires relatively large amounts of calcium for its growth and development, and teak has been named as a calcareous species (Seth and Yadav, 1958; Kaosa-ard, 1981; Tewari, 1992). The amount of calcium content in the soil is also used as an indicator of teak site quality. That is, the greater the proportion of teak to other associate species, the higher the calcium content in the forest soil (Bunyavejchewin, 1983, 1987).

Soil pH is another factor limiting the distribution and stand development of the species. Although the range of soil pH in teak forests is wide (5.0-8.0) (Kulkarni, 1951; Samapuddhi, 1963; Bunyavejchewin, 1983, 1987), the optimum pH range for better growth and quality is between 6.5-7.5

Michael

My impression is that plantation teak is not as decay resistant as old growth. Consider iroko, sometimes called African teak.

Doug

huge teak trees in huge forests in northern India near Jim Corbet National park. Maybe you can order some from India? there is a site similar to alibaba for India. IndiaMart. ill have to see if i can find some pictures, but the trees probalby averaged 75 feet tall and 24 to 36 dia.

There is Rhodesian Teak, which comes from Zimbabwe, although it is not teak it shares many of the characteristics of teak. It is also a lot harder than genuine teak and has the same rot and stability characteristics of teak. A 6/4 plank of this stuff feels like an iron girder in your hands.

Old guy quoted City Hall in Teak. They chartered two boats to go to Burma for the material. Boats got there and there was a civil war so no teak. Job was done in Particle banded in solid and veneer over top. Bpught all the teak they could find think he said the veneer came from Germany. Years later a guy showed up in the shop said I have your teak, they said we already did the job. Owners asked what to do, he made up a flyer sent to all the shops in town sold the teak for huge profit and he got 100.00 bonus at christmas. He was laughing when he mentioned the bonus.

I shouldn't have mentioned growing teak.

My primary question is where can I get plantation teak and does anyone know the cost?

I don't know the differences between Teaks.... however the last time I bought "real Teak", it ran about $25 per bd ft.. I see it locally up to about $35 though at smaller places. I'd look for it at a large hardwood wholesaler and I'd call around a bit before buying as prices vary so much and not many stock it as its so expensive....at least around me

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    I shouldn't have mentioned growing teak.

My primary question is where can I get plantation teak and does anyone know the cost?
    I have a local dealer that sells forest grown teak for $40 a bd ft or so, and plantation grown teak for $20 a bd ft, the last time I checked.

At least one of the nations growing teak have export taxes on raw teak lumber. Exported teak is much cheaper if it has been manufactured in the country, to at least some extent. The purpose is I understand to create local jobs.

I live in Trinidad. We have had teak plantations for over 100 years. I pay $3-4USD a board foot. Teak is not expensive where it is grown.

MK

You don't show where you live so this is difficult. Iroko, poor mans teak is sold a Roberts Plywood in Deer Park, NY. If you are anywhere close or anyone else looking for great hardwoods, this place is outstanding. Almost every type of wood known to man. Also great for veneers and plywood. You can even buy a whole trees sliced into slabs, or just one slab. https://www.roberts-plywood.com/
    Richard

Plantation teak means it is not old growth. I can tell you that redwood sold today is not like the oldgrowth stuff sold when i was a kid. It has sapwood and knots and rots in under 50 years outside in the ground.
    Bill D

You might try calling Alderfer Lumber Company in Pennsylvania. I bought about 150 bf Teak from them about 4 years ago and had them ship it to me in Colorado. They had the best price that I could find and they asked me if I wanted Burmese or plantation. I think someone else already said that the Burmese teak carries some heavy tariffs, but as with many other countries, if they mill it before they ship it out of country they avoid the tariffs. I'm not certain, but I think you'll find that the Burmese has a little tighter grain pattern (more dense) as it grows a little slower than the plantation stuff. Think farming - the faster you can get it to grow, the sooner you get to sell it and make your profit. Teak grows in pretty wet climates - not what I think of when I think Arizona. Someone above said 500 to 5000 mm of rain - that's about 20" to 200" of rain per year.

Alderfer Lumber
    5532 Flint Valley Road
    Mount Pleasant Mills PA 17853
    570-539-2063
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll