Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redwood from California giant Sequoia

Redwood from California giant Sequoia

Recenty a gentleman wanted to give me a large piece of Redwood that he had brought back from California about 45 years ago. It was a piece that he had picked up from the forest floor and was pretty ragged looking. I declined not knowing if it was legal to possess.
    Does anyone have the answer. The piece maybe still available and if i can have it "legally i made go get to turn some bowls.

Yes it is legal to possess Sequoia lumber. You just cannot remove Sequoia from the preserves which contain the few remaining old-growth trees.
    There are two different species which make similar lumber. One is Redwood. It grows near the Pacific coast. The other is Sequoia. It grows in the Sierra Nevada mountains. They are both huge trees.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 10-11-2018 at 1:35 AM.

I was told that there are still Sequoia trees because the lumber is not valuable and doesn't even make decent firewood.

Redwood, being stable, rot resistant and available in huge clear planks is good for siding and many more uses. Don't know how it has survived. But I won't buy it.

I am sitting on 3500 bf of clear, VG old growth redwood.
    I almost cant stand the smell of it anymore.

My house years ago was framed, in 1963, with redwood lumber. It was said to be rot and termite resistant.

National Park Service said years ago, that giant Sequoia trees that were felled in the old days, shattered when they hit the ground, and were passed up for lumber in many cases. Of course, many were still felled.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

They were felled to make grape stakes. Modern experiments are growing the giant sequoia to make lumber. Looks like if the tree is relatively small, under 200 feet or so, they can be felled and the wood is not splintered up on landing.
    Try dropping a 4x4 from a 30 story building and see how it looks after it hits the ground. They cannot be logged by helicopters because they are too big.
    Bikll D

Of those, they selected 126 and stitched them together, to get this incredible portrait of the President. And here it is: The man standing near the trunk of the tree is a good indicator of the tree's size.
    Incredible, isn't it?

I will absolutely buy redwood when called for. With all the beaurocracy and regulations our taxes fund it most assuredly is responsibly grown and harvested. All lumber is a renewable resource.

PALCO is Scotia CA was one of the biggest redwood mills.
    They practiced responsible harvesting all the way back into the 1920s. They only sawed VG and only old growth.
    They said ideal tree was between 1500 and 2000 years old. Any older and they would shatter upon impact.

Something like 26 entire house from one log.

All my lumber has the PALCO stamp on it.

I remember in the 60's or 70's you couldn't buy a picnic table in any hardware store that wasn't made of redwood. Boy how times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bender View Post
    ... All lumber is a renewable resource.
    Well, yes -- if you're willing to wait a thousand years or so. That's the age of an old-growth redwood.

...And PALCO, along with a whole slate of others were felled by the Spotted Owl, which we were told could only nest in those trees.

Of course later, a picture was circulated showing a spotted owl nesting in a KMart sign, in the middle of a town.

That was a wonderful mill tour, watching trees being processed into lumber in Scotia. Did it several times, got the redwood ticket to prove it. What little was left as waste was used as fuel for the kiln drying.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 10-17-2018 at 2:03 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    I hope not illegal, or else I’d be in big trouble for the table I have in the other thread.

Ive only used redwood that was reclaimed from decades ago (and admittedly likely not sustainably harvested) and free or very inexpensive. I’d probably never buy it voluntarily because of concern of where it came from but also because it’s so soft and really gave me a lot of problems with glue ups. Also can be splintery and a lot of chip out, though I don’t know if it was due to the age, softness, figure, or just the nature of the wood itself. Or my lack of skill and experience

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    ...And PALCO, along with a whole slate of others were felled by the Spotted Owl, which we were told could only nest in those trees.

Of course later, a picture was circulated showing a spotted owl nesting in a KMart sign, in the middle of a town.

That was a wonderful mill tour, watching trees being processed into lumber in Scotia. Did it several times, got the redwood ticket to prove it. What little was left as waste was used as fuel for the kiln drying.
    Actually the demise of PALCO was due to typical early 80s hostile take overs via wall street. Very interesting story and a horrible end to a company that always took care of its employees, its community and its resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post

That was a Great Horned Owl.....http://www.northernarizonagazette.co...ll-not-happen/