Thread: Finishing a Spanish Cedar Adirondack Chair

Finishing a Spanish Cedar Adirondack Chair

I decided to make adirondack chairs from that Popular Mechanics plan. They finished their chairs in Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 (077 Cedar). This stuff is fairly expensive per gallon and I don't think they make quart sizes.

While shopping around I found different varieties of this stuff so now I have questions for the SMC gurus.

1) Is this product worth the price or is there something similar out there that will perform just as well.
    2) What is the difference between Cetol 1, Cetol 1 RE, Cetol 23 Plus, SRD, and DEK?
    3) Why would someone stain a cedar chair....well cedar color? It's already cedar color.
    4) Had anyone heard of or used SunFrog deck sealer? It "seems" like a decent product but any website I go to also seems shady in nature.

I do know the brand Sikkens has been rebranded to Proluxe. Thanks in advance for any input.

In the absence of other comments, here is my experience. Bear in mind unless you are in Australia, I am most likely from a different hemisphere, continent and regulatory regime. I have used Cetol extensively on WRC joinery however.

Cetol is expensive. However, it goes a long way compared to film finishes so you don't need to buy as much.

You will need to read the tech data sheets for each product to determine the difference. It may not be much difference but its best to go with the version that says it is suitable for furniture. Other versions may not dry the same way or go sticky with the pressure of a warm butt in one place for too long for example.

Why stain a cedar chair cedar? The product is aimed at a broad market and they want to sell to people who want to coat their cheap pine furniture and call it cedar. For your job, it will act as a toner and make the timber look more uniform, perhaps at the expense of clarity to some degree.

Never heard of sunfrog. (I have not come across many frogs that like the sun, now that I think about it.)If it looks shady, assume it is shady and go with a recognizably branded product. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Thank you Wayne. Mugh appreciated!