Thread: rounding corners on plywood

rounding corners on plywood

Has anyone tried rounding corners on plywood with a block plane?

Thanks,
    Jim

Yes. Be prepared to sharpen a lot. The glue is a real bugger for the blade. Also, the finish it leaves isn’t all that good. You’ll need to sand afterwards.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colombo View Post
    Has anyone tried rounding corners on plywood with a block plane?

Thanks,
    Jim
    You will likely have better luck with a 4-in-hand rasp and some sandpaper to follow.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Warning: heresy will follow

I strongly recommend you to use a power router to create round corner in plywood. It works great... actually in this moment I am using a computer on a table I construct 20+ years ago using plywood and it has all corners rounded by power router.

All the best,

Blog Entries
    I realize this string is four days old, but I agree with Jim. I guess the creek was down for a few days. I'm glad it's back.

Not a neanderthal solution I know, but a ROS and 120 grit paper make this an easy job.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Not a neanderthal solution I know, but a ROS and 120 grit paper make this an easy job.
    But then plywood isn't a traditional neander material so a non-neader solution doesn't seem like sacrilege.

Jim's or Pat's solutions are what I use depending on which tools are closest at hand. After all, it is just plywood.

Good to remember that there's plywood and then there's good plywood. Using a plane to round corners or to fit edges is tough work, and keeping a sharp edge is essential, but when using first class marine plywood, it goes very well. (Used to be all mahogany plies; today its all okume or all meranti plies; no voids are permitted.) It goes down hill from there.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron