Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawer front - single or double pulls

Drawer front - single or double pulls

Just looking for general opinion on drawer pulls...one or two? What looks best to you? I’m working on a Federal style table with a 13 1/2” wide drawer. Most examples I’ve found on a single drawer table is one. But I do like the look of two.

7B15F8C0-B157-4056-AAC9-D106CE9C31CC.jpg 965B27BB-415A-4A6B-AE97-28A0DB80B196.jpeg

Thanks!

Seems like if this is for you and you like the look of two there is your answer.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Well, I like the look of one. But like Steve says...

Consider the function also. If the user pulls the drawer using both hands, the double pull is great. If the user is going to pull with one hand only, the drawer operates more smoothly if that pull is in the center.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    Consider the function also. If the user pulls the drawer using both hands, the double pull is great. If the user is going to pull with one hand only, the drawer operates more smoothly if that pull is in the center.
    I agree with Jon. Double pulls look nice, sort of like added jewelry. But do you want to always use two hands to open a drawer? The center pull will work smoother with one hand. The plans for the drawers on the hutch I am making called for two pulls. I went with one center pull for this very reason.

Thanks all. Good point on the two pulls/two hands issue. Not sure it will be used much...will see.
    Really nice job on the hutch, Mark...very nice work.

Thanks Phil. Good point on use of drawer frequency. It will probably be looked at 100 times more than pulled open

I prefer two and if your drawer works well it will pull easily from one side.

Blog Entries
    I agree with two pulls needing two hands more often than not. That shouldn't stop you from fulfilling your vision though.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If the drawer was going to be heavily loaded, I'd suggest the 2 handles but if not, I'd do what ever looks "right" for you.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If it's a fairly lightweight piece of furniture, sometimes a second hand is required to hold the table while pulling the drawer with the other.

One handle. Two are only required when the drawer is too wide and heavy to reasonably do the job with one. It's an engineering issue, not styling. If you want more bling, embellish with some carving or gilding or whatever. Cheers

Thanks again all. Good input. Now leaning towards one pull given it’s not that wide. The vintage pulls I’ve been able to locate are a minimum of 2” wide. After playing with a couple of oval templates, two pulls takes up a lot of the width and will hide a lot of the drawer front wood character. Your “practical use” input also makes complete sense. I think I just saved myself half the cost!
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 10-21-2018 at 10:51 AM.

14. This is the kind of thing that would keep me up at night and prolong a project an extra month. I'd have someone chose for me. Especially if it's going to a specific person.

15. Afterthought. One pull. No one is going to pull open a 13" drawer with two hands. They will use one. If there are two pulls, they will grab one and then the drawer wants to come out cock-eyed. One pull in the middle does the trick. Like wayne said, it's engineering .... and ease of function.

It's cheaper too.