Thread: Pocket Hole Advice Needed

Pocket Hole Advice Needed

I am working on a small wall hanging cabinet. It is being built out of 1 x 6 poplar. There is a center divider which I want to attach to a horizontal to and bottom piece. In the attached, I used a scrap as a visual for the center divider. The spacing on the left board is 1" from the top of the horizontal and 1" from the bottom of the horizontal. The horizontal board on the right spacing from tje top of the board is 1 1/2" and 1 1/2" from the bottom of the board.

I am using Kreg 1 1/4" coarse screws. Do. You think the spacing between the outside pairs of screws is to close. Do you think another screw in the middle is necessary?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 10-09-2018 at 9:43 PM. Reason: Correction
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

I am having a little trouble interpreting the sentence in red. However, if I am correctly understanding what you want to do, I think it will work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    I am working on a small wall hanging cabinet. It is being built out of 1 x 6 poplar. There is a center divider which I want to attach to a horizontal to and bottom piece. In the attached, I used a scrap as a visual for the center divider. The spacing on the left board is 1" from the top of the horizontal and 1" from the bottom of the horizontal. The horizontal board on the right spacing from tje top of the board is 1 1/2" and 1 1/2" from the bottom of the board.

I am using Kreg 1 1/4" coarse screws. Do. You think the spacing between the outside pairs of screws is to close. Do you think another screw in the middle is necessary?

Thanks.

I think it will be okay but if you have two pieces big enough to do a mock up and drive the screws then you can see if the wood splits.

I tend to only use pocket hole screws where they can't be seen in the final assembly because I hate their appearance, and I always glue the joint, using the pocket hole screws where they won't be seen to hold it together while the glue dries. and so I can keep assembling with a minimum of clamps getting in the way. In a situation like this I will likely use biscuits to keep everything aligned as well. I never trust pocket screws alone in any cabinet projects.

Charley

Art, To be more specific, the cabinet will be made with three vertical boards and four horizontal boards. Two on the top and two on the bottom. This makes two compartments. The pocket screws will not be seen as they are on the top and bottom.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

I would rather consider consider 3 vertical pieces and and a single longer horizontal piece for each the bottom and top. Or is it too late?

While there is no doubt that a M&T joint would be stronger than pocket screws, I would encourage everyone who doubts their strength to actually build and destructively test joints made with them. I have. I doubt if anyone in Raymond's household is clumsy enough to destroy the cabinet or place enough weight on it shelf to break it. My outfeed/assembly table and shop cabinets were put together with pocket screws alone and they have survived 15+ years so far.

I don't usually use pocket screws where they can be seen but if they are acceptable to the builder, who am I to judge?