Thread: Lift for large bowls blanks

Lift for large bowls blanks

When I was at the big orange lumber store I noticed an air pump device for raising base cabinets for leveling. I ordered a couple small trailer tire innertubes, removed the stem valves and connected them to a hose with one valve. Two sheets of plywood and some twine to keep them aligned. The bowl blank weighs about 80# and was about 1” below spindle height. Shoot a little air in the valve to raise it above the center height. Then I released a small amount of air to bring it back to center. Turn the hand-wheel and started threading it onto the spindle. There are many other ways, but I have limited space and this is easily stored.

343A4F60-15CE-444D-A016-5110E4A1D798.jpg A986194E-807D-414B-9D08-146F3AFC877E.jpg 291CC29D-DE72-4287-ADFC-77BBD42F0375.jpg 61C09E64-1889-44CB-9354-337E9B4497EB.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Cool idea. That faceplate looks awful small for that big of a hunk of wood, though.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Good thinking outside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilson66 View Post
    Cool idea. That faceplate looks awful small for that big of a hunk of wood, though.
    Good flat surface, with 6 screws. I don’t recommend it for everyone, but I’ve turned a lot of big bowls on that powermatic faceplate.

Very nice idea, but Step 1 is missing ... how did you get that hunk of wood from the ground to the bed of the lathe? After back surgery I was told that I'm not supposed to pick up anything heavier than a dinner fork. I cheat a little and sometimes pick up things weighing up to 50 pounds and that is why I have another back surgery coming up very soon.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
    Very nice idea, but Step 1 is missing ... how did you get that hunk of wood from the ground to the bed of the lathe? After back surgery I was told that I'm not supposed to pick up anything heavier than a dinner fork. I cheat a little and sometimes pick up things weighing up to 50 pounds and that is why I have another back surgery coming up very soon.
    Bill I used a hand truck and web belt to get the blank to my basement shop. Slid it onto my hydraulic table and pump it up enough that I could roll it onto the bed of the lathe. A simple small block and tackle would also work well. I don’t have room for an engine hoist which is ideal. There are some refinements that could improve this one. 1/4” metal plates rather than thin plywood would be one. Too thick and it starts to limit the swing opportunities?

Looks like it works well! I like the idea of a hydraulic lift but also have limited room in my basement shop - plus with my shop being carpeted, it is hard to get things to roll around once there is weight on them. Here is something I came up with a few years back. Like you mentioned, lots of different ways to get the job done. Heavy Lift
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I use a Genie lift for heavy stuff such as large logs on the band saw or large blanks in the lathe.

I can lift them from floor height to the lathe or saw.

Sure is nice to not strain my back.................Rod.

Cant ready for sawing.jpg

I have one similar to Rod's a dolly with a hydraulic lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Bill I used a hand truck and web belt to get the blank to my basement shop. Slid it onto my hydraulic table and pump it up enough that I could roll it onto the bed of the lathe. A simple small block and tackle would also work well. I don’t have room for an engine hoist which is ideal. There are some refinements that could improve this one. 1/4” metal plates rather than thin plywood would be one. Too thick and it starts to limit the swing opportunities?
    Well, duh I bought a Harbor Freight hydraulic table about a week ago to supplement one that I already have. I guess that I just wasn't thinking. Now I need to go back to HF to get something to raise the pieces about ten inches from ground level to the hydraulic table.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Looks like it works well! I like the idea of a hydraulic lift but also have limited room in my basement shop - plus with my shop being carpeted, it is hard to get things to roll around once there is weight on them. Here is something I came up with a few years back. Like you mentioned, lots of different ways to get the job done. Heavy Lift
    I wonder why I never thought about carpet in the shop. It would be easy on the feet and cut down on noise. I like your hoist system.
    Last edited by Bill Boehme; 10-11-2018 at 1:47 AM.
    Bill

Bob, I mounted a section of barn door track to the ceiling of my shop. It is centered on the center line of my lathe ways. I then put an electric hoist on the track. The track sticks out past both ends of my lathe. I use a strap around my blanks to lift them. It also works great for removing the tailstock(Oneway 2436) of my lathe.
    Joe

I have track and electric hoist similar to Joe. Works well to also lower/raise the bed extension on my Powermatic 3520.