Thread: Gray pen?

Gray pen?

I've had someone request a "gray wood grain skinny fine point pen" for her son that died of brain cancer. I can handle most of that, but I don't know of any gray wood grains out there. I've asked if she's set on wood or if she would be open to an acrylic, but figure I should be prepared in case she's adamant about wood. Any ideas?

Minwax makes a gray stain, if that's any help to you.

The Buckeye Burl is usually different shades of grey.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Sipe View Post
    I've had someone request a "gray wood grain skinny fine point pen" for her son that died of brain cancer. I can handle most of that, but I don't know of any gray wood grains out there. I've asked if she's set on wood or if she would be open to an acrylic, but figure I should be prepared in case she's adamant about wood. Any ideas?
    Spike,

I've got some really gray wood. Some wood gets a grayish fungal stain when cut and air dried in the middle of the summer. Some turns an ugly grey when it starts to spalt, depending on what fungus hits it. (I have a batch of holly like that.) Some persimmon is naturally gray. And Reed's suggestion of buckeye burl is good - that would give you some nice figure as well as the gray color.

You didn't mention where you live but if close drop by and I'll give you some pieces. I'd offer to mail some but the way my schedule has been I might not get around to it until next spring.

And as Art mentioned, a gray stain on any light-colored wood might be perfect, and perhaps the safest thing since you can try it on test pieces. You might even experiment staining with a black ink or dye diluted with solvent.

JKJ

Sometimes a dilute solution of vinegar and some steel wool when applied to a wood with low tannin content (not oak but perhaps Jacaranda and other light woods) may turn the wood a grayish color. But it will require a little experimentation to confirm the solution strength and compatibility to the wood.

Magnolia also yields a gray wood

Pat

I have some magnolia blanks that have turned gray. I can send you some for the cost of shipping.

A simple way would be to use Feibings alcohol based leather dye. If you use a highly figured wood, the dye will accentuate the grain, the harder grain will be less grey, the softer grain, will dye to a darker grey. Curly maple would be my first choice, but birdseye or maple burl would be a good choice for the wood.

It has been years since I used the Feibings dyes, back when I made custom footbags (aka Hacky Sacks). That dye was not color fast and would fade very quickly with any sun light at all....

robo hippy

Copic makes several shades of alcohol based gray markers that should work. They are available online or at Michael's. I use them for accents and cover with spray lacquer.

I'm in central Illinois. I've read about using vinegar and steel on white oak to get grey wood. Shawn, would those stay grey after being turned?

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    It has been years since I used the Feibings dyes, back when I made custom footbags (aka Hacky Sacks). That dye was not color fast and would fade very quickly with any sun light at all....

robo hippy
    I have belts, holsters, knife sheathes and other things that I have made from leather and dyed with Fiebings that are decades old and they all still have color . Finished properly the sun shouldn't suck out the color.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Sipe View Post
    I'm in central Illinois. I've read about using vinegar and steel on white oak to get grey wood. Shawn, would those stay grey after being turned?
    I apply a spar varnish on game calls that contains UV protection, I have not noticed a fading of color. On oak, I would guess that it will turn a dark grey.

I think it is better to find some rusted nails, the steel wool today is made from a mess of scrap steel and the actual steel content is questionable some steel wool has odd metals in it that could change the color a little. If you use the steel wool, before to soak it in a good dish soap to remove the oils that are used during the manufacturing process so it will rust faster. Wash the steel wool real good, then let sit until it is rusted, then add to the vinegar.