Thread: Laguna 1836 or 2436

Laguna 1836 or 2436

I have been looking at either a Powermatic 3520C or a Laguna 1836 lathe. I've read a bunch of threads on this topic, and I'm still deciding.

However, the Laguna 2436 caught my eye. It's still a good bit cheaper than the Powermatic, and the swing is deep. But I don't see it come up on threads that much.

I don't have much experience to help inform my choice, so those of you who do, can you tell me the good and bad points of the Laguna 2436?

If you haven't turned on this lathe of one like it, what do you think might be possible downsides to it?

thanks, Mark

Mark, I can't give you any information in regards to the Laguna 2436, but I recently bought an 1836 and really love this machine. I too was looking at the 3520 but could not justify the cost compared to the Laguna. The 1836 has all the features that I need and want. I do mostly bowls and occasional platters with some spindle work at times. So far I have not been disappointed with my decision. It's a solid and well built lathe. BTW, there was some issue in regards to Laguna customer service in the past, but that has been rectified. I had a question and they call me back within a few hours with the answer I was looking for.
    Best regards and good luck with your decision.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Before I bought my Grizzly I looked at the Revo lathes. The 1836 was most likely my first choice if I couldn't get my G0766. The 2436 was a pretty good jump in price. It seamed like you got a bump from 2hp to 3hp and the extra swing for $1300. How often are you going to turn something over 18"? For me it wasn't that often so I could just slide the headstock and do outboard turning. By going with the 1836 and adding the 20" bed extension it still would be $800 less than the 2436. Maybe others can tell you if the extra 1hp is worth the extra cost, from what I could find out 2hp might require me to remove material a little slower but wouldn't prevent me from turning large blanks. If money isn't an issue to you then I wouldn't see a reason not to go with the larger lathe. For me I don't mind spending more but I do need to justify doing it in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    It seamed like you got a bump from 2hp to 3hp and the extra swing for $1300.
    The 2436's remote control is also worth something to a lot of people.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I’ve had been vacillating between the Laguna 2436 and PM 3520 as well. I have a Laguna 1016 and an old spindle lathe. I just pulled the trigger on the 2436. The extended headstock, 2nd control, 3 Hp for coring and price were the drivers. My experience with the 1016 has been great! BTW they are on sale for $3400 at Woodcraft until the 25th.

I have turned on the older version of the Revo 2436 and am totally satisfied. From what I have seen the new version has been improved in several ways. The remote switch, improved banjo, and an improvement in the finish of the lathe ( not as beefy however).
    The swing height difference is not about how large an item you can turn, but for me sliding the banjo under the work piece is a great advantage. 3 hp is so nice too, I never have to move the belt no matter what I turn.

I have turned on the Laguna lathes and they perform great. The layout and function is about perfect. I can't speak to the Laguna's reliability, however Laguna's customer service appears to have improved recently. My friend had problems with something in his headstock and they sent him an entire new headstock on an older lathe.

I am very happy with my Powermatic, but given the price I would seriously consider a new Laguna.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to look up the sale price on the Laguna 2436 at Woodcraft.

Really looking forward to turning on this machine - as soon as I work out where to put the thing, because I know it's not something that can be moved around.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post

Really looking forward to turning on this machine - as soon as I work out where to put the thing, because I know it's not something that can be moved around.

Mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfAw3AImRDc

Mick.

Bought a Laguna 2436 yesterday at my local Woodcraft.
    Got the floor model for $150 off. With the 10% sale the price before tax was $3,270.
    $3,555 out the door. The real bonus is the machine was already unboxed

Very happy, ready to make a mess.

Congrats. Nothing is local around me so trying to find deals like that are impossible here. Now you get to buy all the accessories for it. Happy shopping.

Besides the Laguna wheel set a lift table works great to move lathes and has other uses. The HF 1,000 pound capacity version is only $260 prior to coupons. Its use is significantly complicated if you use a weight box between the legs.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...art-69148.html
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Bought a Laguna 2436 yesterday at my local Woodcraft.
    Got the floor model for $150 off. With the 10% sale the price before tax was $3,270.
    $3,555 out the door. The real bonus is the machine was already unboxed

Very happy, ready to make a mess.
    Wow, Congratulations! Your going to love the lathe. I don't think you'll ever regret buying the 2436 plus you got an exceptionally good deal.