Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Wood Floor Treatment

Question Shop Wood Floor Treatment

My new shop will arrive (portable building 40' x 16') soon, and I'm a bit perplexed on how to handle the floor treatment.

The floor is 1-1/4" thick on 12" centered joists (5/8" TG PT doubled) that has been "aged" or dried out in inventory. I'm starting with an unfinished building and adding typical low-budget shop woodworking machines (except for the SawStop!.)

The question is whether to seal the floor as-is with a sealer (like shellac) to keep it from staining or to apply rolled flooring.

I'm concerned that the wood floor will hold dust, but I'm also concerned that rolled flooring will be easily damaged (plus it adds considerable cost.)
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Paul Lawrence LXXI

Since it's already a double layer floor, I'd probably either paint it or give it a coat of a non-glossy clear just to provide a little sealing and make it look nice...assuming the PT is actually dry enough to finish. But even bare, it's going to sweep up just fine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Do you have machines on mobile bases that will be moved around? That kind of thing is murder on plywood. The wheels will eventually cause the top veneer layer to disintegrate & delaminate. If the budget allows, cover the ply with some hardwood flooring. Or cover it with 1/2" water resistant MDF & then paint it.

For me, the ideal shop floor would be hard maple, sanded to 80 grit & then just 1 coat of poly.

Yeah, I know what I will wish for , but I'll have to wait for the customers to pay for it! Correct on the wheels for moving objects around, but hopefully there won't be that much moving of heavy stuff. I can't see me and my knees doing hardwood flooring, but if there's money available, that would be the target for it.

I've been thinking of something that I can roll on, either oil or water based. I won't know how "wet" the floor is until it gets here. The ones I've seen are purty dry on delivery.

There is a product that is "paint" for outdoor porches that I've used outside, so I did think about using that. Not sure how durable it would be in a shop environment.
    Last edited by Paul Lawrence; 10-09-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.

Porch Paint/Floor Paint will be reasonably durable, Paul, and you can easily roll on a couple of coats. I'd stick with waterborne, personally.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't think I'd ever consider painting such a hard wearing floor. Just too much maintenance, and all the scratches etc are going to stand out like a sore thumb.

I'd do just a clear finish on it. If the wood gets torn up a little, won't look nearly as bad and will still offer water protection and easier cleanup. A penetrating sealer and then topcoat would be my vote.

I'm interested to hear the other opinions from people here too, as I'm designing a new wood floored shop myself right now.

I built my shop about 10 years ago with 3/4" T&G ply floor. I thought about finishing it and almost put down some commercial grade vinyl tile. I ended up not doing anything and it has been just fine. It is a working floor with all manner of stuff spilled on it and there is usually little damage to tool or floor if something gets dropped. It's a small shop. So, not much heavy stuff gets rolled around. I think whether or not you put some type of finish on it depends upon how much you care about appearance and how much effort you want to expend on maintaining the appearance. Personally, I see no practical reason for a finish unless you have a structural need for a harder more durable surface.
    Last edited by William Young; 10-09-2018 at 2:48 PM.

I put fir flooring in my shop, sanded it and decided to add nothing. If I painted it, would be concerned about it wearing off, if I put clear finish on it, would be worried about maintaining the finish.

All good information! Everyone has a good reason for finishing or not.

I know my Daddy's shop (when I was less than 10) was just a corner of his tractor barn and it had dirt floors, because we used to play with the doodle bug cone traps. Of course, anything done in those days was strictly utilitarian (except for that memorable Camel cigarette dispenser he built for the kitchen wall ... held a whole carton! )
    Paul

Well, somebody is.going to have to talking becauseI need answers too!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cummins View Post
    ... I'd do just a clear finish on it. If the wood gets torn up a little, won't look nearly as bad and will still offer water protection and easier cleanup. A penetrating sealer and then topcoat would be my vote....
    So, I'm thinking the same way, because I don't like the results of "... all manner of stuff spilled on it..." (as William so aptly said.) Not putting Michael on the spot, but do we have a suggestion on a "sealer" that would not add more moisture to the shop? That would keep me from moving ahead!

Please don't say "boiled linseed oil"!
    Paul

I would use a clear coat waterbased is good there are some good urethanes. get the Polyurethane casters they do less damage, I have two on my crescent band saw and two hard wheels the hard ones leave marks the polyurethane don't.

13. I like Bona's flooring products, its what I use when I refinish old wood floors, etc. They have a sanding sealer that penetrates and makes the wood harder and more moisture resistant. You could do a couple coats of sealer and call it a day - sealer is roughly speaking, thinned down polyurethane. Today's formulas are a little more complicated than that, but that's how they did it in the old days. So you could also thin your own poly down and use that, but your results will vary based on how well you do the thinning.

Bona is usually only sold by flooring suppliers that might not sell to public. Amazon does sell it, but you'll pay more. I use a local supplier.

It really shouldn't matter that much though, just any sanding sealer from the store should be fine. Zinsser makes a nice one called sealcoat, if you can find that. Or the minwax stuff, or whatever. It will hold up best with a topcoat over it, but probably overkill for a shop. Sealer only isn't going to feel like a finished floor, or clean like one. If you want that, you'll need a couple coats of poly. Def use the lowest sheen you can, or every scratch etc will show, and you'll have lots of annoying glare from your lighting.

I don't think any of these will add any moisture to the shop, once dried. Drying process will, but then dry it out and should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lawrence View Post
    So, I'm thinking the same way, because I don't like the results of "... all manner of stuff spilled on it..." (as William so aptly said.) Not putting Michael on the spot, but do we have a suggestion on a "sealer" that would not add more moisture to the shop? That would keep me from moving ahead!

Please don't say "boiled linseed oil"!
    Last edited by Michael Cummins; 10-10-2018 at 9:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lawrence View Post
    So, I'm thinking the same way, because I don't like the results of "... all manner of stuff spilled on it..." (as William so aptly said.)
    I don't mean to argue. I respect your preferences. Just as a reminder; you WILL get all manner of stuff spilled on it. That's a given. It is just a matter of how much time you want to spend maintaining your floor vs doing woodworking. Also, keep in mind that a finish/sealer will tend to make the floor slicker; particularly when it gets sawdust on it. My unfinished floor isn't too bad about that.

15. With sealer only, probably won't be much/any slicker. With a topcoat, a little slicker. I don't generally find wood flooring to be too slick in work shoes, so that's not an issue for me. What is nice though, is both liquids etc and sawdust will clean up much easier with a smoother surface, letting you keep a cleaner shop.

I wouldn't put a fine finish down on a shop floor with all the sanding between coats etc I do on a nice floor, but the finish wouldn't take too much time. Biggest holdup would be time before you can put equipment on the floor for dry time. Then I'd just leave it alone if it gets scuffed up, etc. Make it too nice and you won't want to get real work done on it.

Quote Originally Posted by William Young View Post
    I don't mean to argue. I respect your preferences. Just as a reminder; you WILL get all manner of stuff spilled on it. That's a given. It is just a matter of how much time you want to spend maintaining your floor vs doing woodworking. Also, keep in mind that a finish/sealer will tend to make the floor slicker; particularly when it gets sawdust on it. My unfinished floor isn't too bad about that.