Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterstones- thinking of finally getting a real set

Waterstones- thinking of finally getting a real set

Hey everybody,

I pulled out my riff-raff waterstones last Thursday to hone the bevels on some surgical instruments after massive reshaping.
    The whole thing felt very comfortable and relaxing...even if I have absolutely no idea what grit those stones were!

I'm thinking of getting a proper set of stones (yes, that sounds funny) to get my Japanese steel sharpened up.
    I've been conversing with Stan Covington, and he recommends:
    -diamond only for roughing
    - start at 1000 grit
    - go to 2000 grit (doesn't use it in field)
    - then 6000 grit, possibly with a Nagura---good enough for most work
    - then 10000 grit (in field) or Japanese Natural Finisher (in workshop)

I think he mostly uses King stones...but I feel like it's the user rather than the stones giving a great result.

Do you have a recommendation for a good set/series of stones, and a good place to buy them from?
    Originally, i was thinking of buying Stu's recommended set...but it looks like he doesn't have the set available anymore.

-Matt

ps. For my mujingfang HSS torture steel, I still have the diamond plate + spyderco M + spyderco UF.
    That system works...but isn't anywhere as rewarding feeling as good steel on good waterstones.

Stu’s Sigma Power ceramic set is still listed on his site. Still around $230.00. I had to poke around to find it. Here’s the link:
    http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/...th=335_404_403
    Last edited by Charles Bjorgen; 10-09-2018 at 7:29 AM. Reason: Added link

I have that set and they are fantastic stoned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parkis View Post
    I have that set and they are fantastic stoned
    How do they do when they are sober?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

What is your "in the field" use case?

Also, what is your home setup? Unless you have a sink and running water, I highly recommend either getting "splash and go" type waterstones (possibly including Jnats), or go with some other type of stone like oilstones, diamond, or ceramic. Doubly true for field use, with the added recommendation that you get smaller stones (4"x 2" or 4" x 1.5" stones are adequate).

If Stan has made some recommendations though, I'd seriously look into those. You don't really need a huge number of stones. I generally only use 2-3 -- sometimes even just a single stone. Something in the 1-2k range and something in the 6-8k range should be sufficient, though if you're looking at Jnats or other natural stones, it's best not to think in terms of "grit": some stones can operate over a very wide range, whilst others operate more narrowly akin to synthetics.

For the field, you may want to carry a stone in the 400-1k range just in case you get any minor edge damage. I generally carry a hard (white) arkansas and a thin diamond plate, both pocket size. Sometimes I also carry a fine India and a hard (black) Arkansas, or, I forgo all of those and just carry my full sized vintage Washita, which, paired with a piece of leather to strop on, can do it all. You can likely find similar Jnats or combination splash and go synthetic waterstones.

I really dislike the presoaked synthetic waterstone thing, though. Too much prep time and way too much mess. Maybe if you don't mind carrying the Kitchen sink with you and have the luxury of one in your shop it's not so bad though.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 10-10-2018 at 8:32 PM.

Disclaimer: I just started my experience with waterstones at the beginning of this year, so just a little more than a half year experience.

For many years I used only files and the classical method of glass plate and water sandpaper. Actually I used it exclusively for 30 years learned from daddy.

One year ago I decided to rethink most of my process and even replace some tools as well to purchase new ones. I made a complete upgrade in my small shop, the first serious one in 25 years. It included adding new ways to sharp tools.

I purchased Norton stones as I use Norton products for decades (they have a large manufacturing plant in my country). I decided I did not need anything bellow 1000 grit as I could use sandpaper for that eventual gross preparation, so I purchased a 1000 grit stone (not combined with any other grit because that coarse stone is expected to be consumed faster that finer ones), a combination 4000/8000 grit and (just in case) I also purchased a Sapton 2000 grit, also monolithic as I would expect lower grit are consumed faster.

I did not purchase a "leveling or flattening stone" as I always can use wet sandpaper on glass plate to do that or even a diamond plate (I also have).

It all looks great although I confess I used then just a few times, always with great results.

Good luck in your experience.

All the best,
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 10-10-2018 at 11:09 PM. Reason: typo error, as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post

I think he mostly uses King stones...but I feel like it's the user rather than the stones giving a great result.
    Think about that for a second and grasp what you are saying. If another man can do it, so can you.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    ps. For my mujingfang HSS torture steel, I still have the diamond plate + spyderco M + spyderco UF.
    That system works...but isn't anywhere as rewarding feeling as good steel on good waterstones.
    So, are you into wood working or sharpening? Do you think the old timer's many here idolize gave a wit about the rewarding feeling sharpening or were more concerned about getting a sharp enough edge as quickly as possible to get on with wood working again.

I like the feel of water stones too, but from a pragmatic standpoint, they are a waste of time. Diamond and ceramic are less fussing about. Heck, oilstones and a strop are less fussing about as well.

Not picking on you Matt, but the sharpening ceremony here that some go through is absolutely laughable in there detail and steps, unless it's about the sharpening and not the woodworking. And I think the old timers would be laughing the hardest if they could see us now.

Matt, my waterstone setup consists of a #1000, #4000 and #8000. The #1000 is a Sigma Power Select II, it cuts really fast (but obviously dishes a bit fast too, but much less than a King waterstone). The 4 and 8k are Bester/Imanishi Stones. They are more long wearing and don't need flattening as often. They all perform well on PM V-11, A2 and O1.

For rough reshaping, I don't think you can beat a diamond stone (or even better, hollow grind with a CBN wheel).

I use the Nortons too. My first experience with water stones was at a class and I was impressed. Been using them for several years (gosh, over ten now!) and have always been happy with them. I think mine are 1000, 4000, 8000. I flatten with a diamond plate. To qualify, I am not a sharpening guru. I really just wanted something practical and affordable. I don't even know what metal my chisels and plane irons are! I have never tried any of the newer stones. And i don't know all the microns, etc. I just don't see a reason to buy everything that comes along (plus I can't afford it!). I might be much happier with something else, who knows?!? It'd be nice if you could try out some before you commit. Perhaps you can find someone close by to let you have a go at theirs?

As I was typing this, I had to laugh at the irony...I'm a mechanical engineer! Yup.

Oh, I do own some oil stones (Woodcraft). I like to carve a little and I bought oil stones for carving gouges. They work real well too. I'm not so good at sharpening carving gouges, but the stones are good.

Tony

Blog Entries
    I'm not so good at sharpening carving gouges, but the stones are good.
    Mary May gives some pointers on sharpening carving gouges at about 15 minutes in on this episode of The Woodwright's Shop:

https://www.pbs.org/video/carving-aw...ry-may-tioglz/

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Warren West View Post
    So, are you into wood working or sharpening? Do you think the old timer's many here idolize gave a wit about the rewarding feeling sharpening or were more concerned about getting a sharp enough edge as quickly as possible to get on with wood working again.

...the sharpening ceremony here that some go through is absolutely laughable in there detail and steps, unless it's about the sharpening and not the woodworking. And I think the old timers would be laughing the hardest if they could see us now.

Amen to that, brother. I hate sharpening.

A hollow grind on the wet grinder, 15 seconds on a 4000 grit water stone to set the cutting bevel, a couple seconds on the leather strop wheel because it seems to help; done. To touch up, 10-20 seconds on the 4000 stone, hit the strop wheel; done.

I could probably get the edge sharper, but I'm not convinced it matters after a couple minutes of using the tool. I also don't like the whole progressing-through-the-grits thing. I sharpen free hand, and the more stones you use, the easier it is to round the bevel.

For perspective, Tage Frid's sharpening routine from his books was a belt sander followed by a buffing wheel.
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 10-15-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Sorry. Wiped out from work enough to be dizzy once I get home.

The stones are for options.
    I plan to have multiple approaches: quick and dirty (diamond and ceramic), and probably done (full set of stones).

If you asked me to flatten a blade, I could probably do it pretty fast...but it'll be gritty and not have the best finish.

I have never really has a full set of stones, and always scrounged. Some part of me longs to try to sharpen something as perfect as possible.

But yeah, I will have a ceramic stone and strop by the workbench for touch ups... probably

Blog Entries
    Having more stones than needed has never been one of my regrets.

Currently my buy button finger has been a little itchy about maybe getting another Arkansas stone or two, one soft and a surgical black.

There is also a lust for a finer water stone even though my 8000 grit seems to get things sharp enough.

Seeking the next level of sharpness is like a sickness. Similar to the sickness of gold fever experienced by seekers of gold.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Having more stones than needed has never been one of my regrets.

Currently my buy button finger has been a little itchy about maybe getting another Arkansas stone or two, one soft and a surgical black.

There is also a lust for a finer water stone even though my 8000 grit seems to get things sharp enough.

Seeking the next level of sharpness is like a sickness. Similar to the sickness of gold fever experienced by seekers of gold.

jtk
    Yeah its a sickness that gets really really itchy sometimes for me. A finer water stone is always fun...

Nothing wrong with King's, they will do the job, although some A2 blades are really hard (Hock). I set the bevel on those with a 140 Atoma, then switch to waterstones. I have an assortment, since I haven't had very good luck with sets. Seems like one or two of them always seem lacking............

Imanishi Latte 400
    1200 Bester
    2000 Gesshin
    5000 Suehiro Rika (exceptional stone)
    8000 Gesshin

This is the current lineup and is subject to change at a whim. There are many more.........

Honestly, I usually stop at the 5K, don't see a marked improvement for tools and knives at finer grits, unless it's for my AS kitchen knives. Then I'll go to 8K, 16K, then a koppa. Good luck in your search down the rabbit hole.......... As stated above, it's a sickness, but a good one!
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA