Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waterstones- thinking of finally getting a real set

I am another one that uses Stu's Sigma (Power something or another) three stone set - 1,000#, 6,000# and 13,000#. They replaced an older King three stone set that I used many years ago and the xdetails escape me.
    David

Great sharpening thread. Not the usual sharp-sickness. It has dulled the feeling of inadequacy to find that I am in the middle of normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Amen to that, brother. I hate sharpening.

A hollow grind on the wet grinder, 15 seconds on a 4000 grit water stone to set the cutting bevel, a couple seconds on the leather strop wheel because it seems to help; done. To touch up, 10-20 seconds on the 4000 stone, hit the strop wheel; done.

I could probably get the edge sharper, but I'm not convinced it matters after a couple minutes of using the tool. I also don't like the whole progressing-through-the-grits thing. I sharpen free hand, and the more stones you use, the easier it is to round the bevel.

For perspective, Tage Frid's sharpening routine from his books was a belt sander followed by a buffing wheel.
    Who here can argue with Tage? Sadly I'm sure most know more about abrasive grits than he did, but where has that gotten them?

We have to remember that practical doesn't sell product. Of course we're going to see demos with 6 stones of varying grit and the flattening gear and all of that. It SELLS and makes the vendor money. Disagree with Paul Sellers all you want, but the man makes some sensible points on sharpening and the flavor of the day as it relates to sharpening media.

Also, if you've read Chris Pye's books on carving he talks about some guys getting caught up in getting ready to carve, but never really carving. I think the same thing happens to some in wood working. Sharpening is a good activity to lose a bunch of time in. Fettling old tools is another.

Using a belt sander, grinder and buffing wheel isn't sexy, doesn't seem old worldly or have the same hand crafted nostalgia feeling about it. If you want to sharpen traditionally, if you are European, it's a sandstone water wheel followed by some oil stones, of if you are Japanese, then you use Jnats. If the Shaptons are an acceptable improvement, well then so are belt sanders, grinders and buffers.

Waterstones never harmed nobody! (furtively looks around).

All joking aside, at least it's not drugs.
    (sigh)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Waterstones never harmed nobody! (furtively looks around).

All joking aside, at least it's not drugs.
    (sigh)

Believe you me, I have plenty of other woodworking vices, gratuitous sharpening just happens not to be one. I used to have a little problem with braces, bits, and Yankee screw drivers that I am mostly over. And I still can't pass up a $5 plane at a garage sale if it has any salvageable parts. I have a foot of shelf space dedicated to #5s awaiting restoration to visually remind myself that I should get over this habit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    [edit]
    I used to have a little problem with braces, bits, and Yankee screw drivers that I am mostly over. And I still can't pass up a $5 plane at a garage sale if it has any salvageable parts.
    Same here, my efforts to curtail my accumulation has had some success. What bothers me is cleaning the shop and coming across a couple of planes with no memory from whence they came:

Coffin Smoothers.jpg

They are both in usable condition. The blades could use a bit more work. To me they are not comfortable to use due to the grip.

The blades were sharpened on my waterstones.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Warren West View Post
    Who here can argue with Tage? Sadly I'm sure most know more about abrasive grits than he did, but where has that gotten them?

We have to remember that practical doesn't sell product. Of course we're going to see demos with 6 stones of varying grit and the flattening gear and all of that. It SELLS and makes the vendor money. Disagree with Paul Sellers all you want, but the man makes some sensible points on sharpening and the flavor of the day as it relates to sharpening media.
    There is no shortage of people on this forum who are more discriminating than Tage Frid or Paul Sellers.

I have shaptons 1000, 5000, 8000. I like that they only require a spritz not a soak.

Is it worse to spend a little too much time sharpening or to wax superior that you don’t?

I rely on a Shapton Pro set like Prashun's - 1000, 5000, 8000. I have added a 120-grit when I need to re-grind an edge (no power grinder...), and a homemade strop for finishing.

Even though Shapton Pros are "splash and go" stones, you still need to flatten them periodically. I do mine about twice a year with a DiaFlat diamond plate. Takes about 5 min per stone...

TedP

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Great sharpening thread. Not the usual sharp-sickness. It has dulled the feeling of inadequacy to find that I am in the middle of normal.
    I feel like launching into a Tom Papa monologue-

"Ever sharpen an iron and made it more dull? I have...
    For my first five years, I wondered why I could barely cut butter with my plane irons.
    Then I realized that Grizzly's India made planes weren't sharpenable."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Leonard View Post
    I use the Nortons too. My first experience with water stones was at a class and I was impressed. Been using them for several years (gosh, over ten now!) and have always been happy with them. I think mine are 1000, 4000, 8000. I flatten with a diamond plate. To qualify, I am not a sharpening guru. I really just wanted something practical and affordable. I don't even know what metal my chisels and plane irons are! I have never tried any of the newer stones. And i don't know all the microns, etc. I just don't see a reason to buy everything that comes along (plus I can't afford it!). I might be much happier with something else, who knows?!? It'd be nice if you could try out some before you commit. Perhaps you can find someone close by to let you have a go at theirs?

As I was typing this, I had to laugh at the irony...I'm a mechanical engineer! Yup.

Oh, I do own some oil stones (Woodcraft). I like to carve a little and I bought oil stones for carving gouges. They work real well too. I'm not so good at sharpening carving gouges, but the stones are good.

Tony
    I am a sharpening guru- or at least I teach a sharpening class at the local woodcraft. I try to keep it as simple as possible, but I get students bring in a bit of everything, over time. Partly so that I can instruct them effectively without speaking strictly from theory gleaned from the forums, and partly to appease my stone Jones I have accumulated a bunch of sharpening stuff. It's not just stones, also jigs, machines and associated paraphernalia. In my own work I use mostly 4 or 5 stones. For instance, right now on the bench is a coarse diamond stone because i did a bit of reshaping on a chisel, a 1200 diamond stone and a translucent white Arkansas stone. Most quick touch ups just see the ark.

Picked up the package(s) in the post office.

Stu wrapped each stone individually, and shipped them in separate boxes! Wow!
    I don't think I paid him enough to cover shipping.

Haven't unwrapped them yet. Bracing myself for afternoon patients.

Mine is saws, God help me!!!!!

The surgical black are such a nice stone to use, you won't regret having one. Or a nice translucent, that's next on my list for treating myself. I sharpened a pocket knife on a buddy's very nice translucent. Finer than the black, very different feel. The black felt almost like a waterstone does, the slippery feeling but just a little feedback that I'm used to from oilstones. The translucent seemed less smooth and slippery, felt alot harder I guess, very little feedback. I think that's one that if I get one like it will take some getting used to, to really get the most out of it. But even not used to it you could see a nicer polish on the edge. The black anyway are a joy to use.
    Jon