Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you bring a plane on a plane? TSA and woodworking question

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    They confiscated a router wrench they found in my laptop bag. Said it was too long. Plane iron? not a chance, it will be confiscated (entire plane)
    Chuck
    Some may depends on the individual agent. Reminds me of going through a security checkpoint at one of the secure gov facilities where I worked. One guard wanted to search something none of the others ever glanced at in the years I worked there.

When I asked (pleasantly) if there was a reason for the change, he said "Well, it's like this. Some of us do and some of us doesn't.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Some may depends on the individual agent. Reminds me of going through a security checkpoint at one of the secure gov facilities where I worked.
    In pre TSA times, when working on engineering copiers my small vacuum cleaner also carried my tools. One time they didn't like the tools in my box. The solution was to put a bolt through the tabs for a lock so it could pop open in the over head bin.

Another place had a restricted area. To enter one had to go through what was called "the match gate." There they would search vehicles and persons for any thing that could start a fire. They made rocket fuel there. Knives were okay.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

A month ago, I took with me on the plane a bunch of tools including a 5-1/4 junior jack. All tools were in the luggage, not in the cabin. They asked me to go to the dimensional luggage, got asked some questions and everything was fine. That was a Canadian flight from Montréal to Vancouver.

Sure you can take a plane on a plane ....

.... you just cannot take it off the plane.

Regards from Perth

Derek

In the late 70's I was an aircraft mechanic for a firebombing company. Sometimes I would be sent to a base to provide relief for the guys working round the clock. I would check the bags with my clothes but not my tool box. It was a metal doghouse style that would have 60 to 80 pounds of tools in it. I took it on the plane with me and put it on the floor in front of my seat. I didn't trust the baggage smashers to handle it without breaking the box open. Nobody ever stopped me.

I don't know about now, but back in the '80s it was often a matter of discretion by the baggage check in people. My wife and I were returning from a mountaineering trip in the Tetons. At Jackson hole airport they made me remove my 50 meter climbing rope from the outside of my rucksack and put it in checked baggage. A buddy on the same flight who with his scraggly beard, long hair, and bush jacket looked like the archetype of a terrorist was allowed to carry his ice axe aboard as a walking stick. I guess they figured I might try to tie up all the passengers and crew. Go figure.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I do not recall airlines being that strict until 9-11 (2001). After this, you were searched and restrictions were enforced.

Apparently, one is permitted to carry a knife on a plane as long as the blade is less than 6cm (according to Google).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I do not recall airlines being that strict until 9-11 (2001). After this, you were searched and restrictions were enforced.

Apparently, one is permitted to carry a knife on a plane as long as the blade is less than 6cm (according to Google).

Regards from Perth

Derek
    That doesn't sound right. A box cutter blade is less than 6cm and it is doubtful they would let one of those on board.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Send a tweet to "askTSA" with a picture, or "TSA" on instagram and get a quick, definitive answer as to what you can and can't take on board.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I wouldn't risk it, especially with the TSA (who tend to be meaner/ruder than their Canadian counterparts). I imagine they would just chuck the plane. I brought back some tools from Lie Nielsen, and when I flew from Ottawa to Edmonton, I checked them into my luggage. Turns out they opened the luggage to check the planes out regardless (they left a note) but thankfully repackaged the planes and chisels quite nicely. I hear the baggage checks for our southern neighbours tend to be a bit more messy.

I always make sure to use TSA approved locks only on my checked baggage, just so it's easier for them to open and check if they need to, without destroying the lock/bag in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Back before the TSA I always had a small wooden tool box in my carry-on when traveling to certain federal offices in Washington DC in case I needed to work on a computer to get my job done. (those people were not technically functional).

On one return flight the security person looked inside and said I couldn't carry that on the plane. I said I've carried it on every flight for years. He said but what if you decide to take something apart on the plane? I assured him I would not so he finally let me take the tools under one condition - that I promise not to open the box during the flight. Ok.
    Different times eh? I live in Canada so we don't have the most stringent of steps but things are methodical and as you would expect. All these stories of flying before I was born reminds me of one my of violin teacher's husband's story. He was a luthier and when they left Hungary he brought his tools with him. Not sure when but he marveled looking back at the fact that at one point he could bring woodworking tools on the plane. My teacher then interjected and mentioned how now they would stop violinists and open the case and try to figure out if the strings could be used as a weapon. At least I think training has been updated for a while so less issues arise. Cellists have it real bad since they can't put that in luggage unless it's a bombproof cello and so they pay for a whole extra seat for it. And then sometimes airline employees get confused and then the Cellist gets removed from the flight...

Of course, IF you have to go through Customs with that hand plane.......

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    ...that comment is usually reserved for one of my sports forums where we are all 6'5", bench 450, have 3% body fat, are married to supermodels and $100k is a rounding error in our weekly draw... and the absolute worst indignation one can suffer is flying commercial...
    You left out, "and I once asked [insert name of your favorite musician] to sit in at one of my band's performances, but he declined; said he just wasn't good enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Regards from Perth

Derek
    TSA relieved me of a little multitool that had a one-inch blade just two summers ago. I guess it’s a threat, yet they don’t see a sharp nail file in the same way.

Yes, you can take a plane on a plane. You can take a gun on a plane, you can take a knife on the plane. But you have to follow specific TSA rules to do these things. I've done all three, sort of - replace "knife" with "chisel that was as deadly as a knife." Take out the plane blade. It needs to go in your checked bag. Wrap the blade securely enough so it won't cut anyone if they try to examine it. I'd put the rest of the plane in the same bag so if it is checked, they can see what's going on. Maybe even add a couple Post-It notes to explain it to a government employee.

You'll be fine.