Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can you bring a plane on a plane? TSA and woodworking question

Blog Entries
    Checked baggage only. Anything with a sharpened blade, and anything remotely looking like a gun will not be allowed. I have brought countless tools, including chisels, planes, hammers, knives, and saws in checked baggage, but wouldn't even think of trying to carry on. They wouldn't let me carry on a pool cue. They also once pulled a pair of pliers from me trying to carry on. Apparently you can use them to do damage to the aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Fort View Post
    Maybe even add a couple Post-It notes to explain it to a government employee.
    Not sure that would help. One Christmas I flew from Kansas City to Baltimore with my bag packed with Frozen packages of Ribs, Burnt ends, and Brisket for my BBQ challenged family. Along with 3 bottles of local BBQ sauce. I hung around and while they had no issue with the frosty bundles, I noticed one agent deeply scrutinizing one of the sauce bottles like he had never seen such a thing (who would bring BBQ back from KC?). What made it humorous was when I realized that from his point of view if he changed his focus from near to far he would be looking at the Taste of Kansas City shop with their display table stacked high with that exact sauce.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    Not sure that would help. One Christmas I flew from Kansas City to Baltimore with my bag packed with Frozen packages of Ribs, Burnt ends, and Brisket for my BBQ challenged family. Along with 3 bottles of local BBQ sauce. I hung around and while they had no issue with the frosty bundles, I noticed one agent deeply scrutinizing one of the sauce bottles like he had never seen such a thing (who would bring BBQ back from KC?). What made it humorous was when I realized that from his point of view if he changed his focus from near to far he would be looking at the Taste of Kansas City shop with their display table stacked high with that exact sauce.
    Maybe he was very familiar with it and didn't think it was 'special' enough for people to be taking it home.

One of the things most missed about my former locality are foods prepared in ways that do not seem to exist in my present locality.

One is Zachary's Pizza in North and South Berkeley. They have a deep dish stuffed pizza that is often voted #1.

Another missed restaurant is Cancun Mexican Restaurant in the Middle of Berkeley. They have a couple dozen sauces from which to choose.

In San Francisco the various good eating places is endless and multinational. Good food can be had from reasonably inexpensive to just about as much as any person can pay.

Sorry for the misdirect/hijack, but there seems to be no decent BBQ in this area and it got my juices flowing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I would not assume that risk. Send it in your checked luggage as I already made in the past.

I never saw anyone bringing or trying to bring a wood plane into an airplane in their hand luggage but I recently saw a video in The Guardian (I am not sure) about a guy that tried to ship in an airplane in London with a plane and a couple of chisels. He was not allowed to bring any of these tools on board and lost them...

All the best,

Here you go, get the official answer:
    This picture is a screenshot of a tweet that was sent to our AskTSA team.

Have you ever wondered whether or not you can pack a certain item? If you're a regular follower of this account, I'm sure you can think of many situations where it would have behooved somebody to send us a picture first. Well, fret no more! Now you can do just that!

Simply snap a picture and tweet it to AskTSA (twitter.com/asktsa), or send it via Facebook Messenger (facebook.com/asktsa) and our team will get back to you promptly with an answer.

And that's not all! Contact the team about any TSA related issue or question you might have. They can even help you if you don’t see TSA Pre✓® on your boarding pass.

Check out our new EXTENDED HOURS! The team looks forward to answering your questions, 8am-10pm on weekdays, and 9am-7pm on weekends and holidays . #AskTSA #TSATravelTips #TSA
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    In San Francisco the various good eating places is endless and multinational. Good food can be had from reasonably inexpensive to just about as much as any person can pay.

jtk
    Plus just a short (and beautiful) 60 mile drive away is the best restaurant in the US. Thomas Keller's French Laundry in Yontville.

There are only two restaurants in the world I think are absolute bucket list musts for a foodie The French Laundry and Massimo Bottura's Osteria Francescana in Modena. Interestingly Osteria Francescana fits right into my signature and is roughly the same distance as the two and four wheeled best things.

Keller's food is a little better to my palate but Bottura is a better food experience, probably the best in the world. Each dish is like art and actually worthy of IG posts.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I didn't end up bringing my plane.

I didn't want to risk losing any of my precious tools. Instead, I brought my travel guitar...which is in a coffin case.

No trouble with the TSA!

As carry on? Guess they haven't had anyone garroted yet.

It'd be with ultralights.

I'm just picturing departed souls talking with each other:
    "How'd they get you?"
    "Some bald guy garotted me with Silk n' steel. How about you?"
    "Pretzel."