Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm looking for PC 521 stair template owners manual

Jack and Richard, I thought about these stairs, and thought you guys might like to see them. They're in a 1798 house I work on periodically, when the Foundation that owns it manages to raise some money. This house has never been remodeled, and the stairs even have the 18th Century first coat of paint on them-Cobalt Blue.

They have housed stringers. Of course, the housings were done then by hand, with a stair saw, and chisel. There is a backsaw company that sells parts for stair saws, and I wondered when I saw that if anyone knew what they were for. The wedges don't go full length like are used by the templates this thread is about. Instead, the housings are cut fairly tight, and the wedges jambed in from the side of the stringers. There is an odd little "closet" under these stairs that allows access to the underside of the staircase.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know those type of stairs. Hurts just looking at them. Stay to the outside. I have an old stair saw. I found one in and old store in San Diego when visiting my daughter. I didn't buy it, I would only use it for a wall hanger. My daughter got it for me for my birthday one year. The blade looks a little course. If you find that company selling parts, let me know, maybe I'll invest in a new blade.
    Richard

I remembered what it was: https://tgiag.com/sawplate.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Jack and Richard, I thought about these stairs, and thought you guys might like to see them. They're in a 1798 house I work on periodically, when the Foundation that owns it manages to raise some money. This house has never been remodeled, and the stairs even have the 18th Century first coat of paint on them-Cobalt Blue.

They have housed stringers. Of course, the housings were done then by hand, with a stair saw, and chisel. There is a backsaw company that sells parts for stair saws, and I wondered when I saw that if anyone knew what they were for. The wedges don't go full length like are used by the templates this thread is about. Instead, the housings are cut fairly tight, and the wedges jambed in from the side of the stringers. There is an odd little "closet" under these stairs that allows access to the underside of the staircase.
    Tom, thank you for that interesting bit of history! I think it's pretty cool to go back and see how things were constructed, before my time.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose

Jack

I built new houses for 33 years, but have been working on old houses since I built my last new one in 2007. I had gotten tired of it by then anyway. These days, I'm having a lot more fun with new puzzles to solve every day. I don't do remodeling. I put ones worth saving back to look like they did to start with.

That staircase has a landing right out of sight around the top of that bend, and then continues straight up for a ways more. There was a chapel upstairs. I think Richard may have given the best clue why they were built like that.

I went over to check that house after the storm (all fine), and stuck my phone up under the stairs to take a couple of pictures. Not many parts have a wedge in them anywhere. I guess they just stuck one in if there was a squeak. Overall, everything was fitted pretty tight to start with. The interesting thing is that they went to a lot of trouble to leave access under the whole stairway. Pictures rotated 90 degrees.
    Attached Images Attached Images