Thread: Dewalt GWI power vs Dewalt 7730 Advice?

Dewalt GWI power vs Dewalt 7730 Advice?

Recently I bought a gwi to replace my Dewalt 7730. The GWI is a lovely well built saw compared to the 7730. I blew the motor out and replaced the broken fan. The bearings felt fine so I didn't replace them. But I've been discouraged with it bogging down on a crosscut. It has a lot less power than my 7730, but has 2 amps more. I've switched blades around- doesn't seem to make any difference. Any thoughts on it would be great.

Keith

Are you running it on 120V or 240V?
    Peter

Could it be wired incorrectly? Maybe it’s wired for 220 but you’re running it on 110v

What kind of saw is it? tablesaw, bandsaw, jigsaw, sabresaw. More details might help. how many blades do you have? blade thickness and tooth count make a big difference.

Something is wrong with the GWI

I'm running the Radial arm saw on 120v. I believe it's wired correctly, but would I possible have more oomph I wired it 220v? I'll probably change out the bearings. By hand it doesn't spin as easily as my 7730 RAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Quarrier View Post
    I'm running the Radial arm saw on 120v. I believe it's wired correctly, but would I possible have more oomph I wired it 220v? I'll probably change out the bearings. By hand it doesn't spin as easily as my 7730 RAS.
    Yes it'll run better on 220. It'll technically not have more power, BUT what it will do is let the motor develop full power. Meaning there is probably some part of the system building heat rather than torque with the high Amp 120V setup. Lower the amps by going 220, and it'll make the whole thing work much better.

Ahh... maybe the voltage selector switch or me is the problem. To be honest, I didn't know what this switch was for. I've been running it on 110v with the switch in the right hand position (facing the column). In the left hand position the motor doesn't sound right. So, after reading about this switch I tried the it in the left position plugged into 220 (not knowing which way the switch should be). Sounded bad again, and there was a waft of smoke. I quickly shut it down. Then I tried the switch in the right position in 220v and it sounded really good. Switch to the right and in 110v, my clamp meter reads 1.8 amps on each leg. Switch to the right and plugged into 220v and meter reads 5.5 amps/leg. Figured i'd mention this before running it more- and before putting the blade back on. Bad switch? Any thoughts will be much appreciated. Motor plate says 14/7 amps 110/220

Hope you didn’t let all the magic smoke out.

Turns out it was my bad. I've never seen a motor with a voltage selector switch, so the previous owner had put on a 110 plug and the switch didn't sound right in the left/110 position. I was running it on 110v with switch in the 220v position. Don't know what's wrong with it in the left position,I'll just put a new 220 outlet in and use it in the 220v position. Seems to have plenty of power in this position. Thanks for all the replies. Keith

I have a GWI and it only runs in the 220V position. The bearings were bad when I got it maybe third hand 25 years ago. I sent it to Wolff Machinery and they installed new bearings and also told me the 110V side wasn't functional anymore. I assume that means one of those windings was burned out, but don't really know. In any case, the saw has plenty of power.

Glad to hear you got yours sorted out. The GWI really is a very nice saw. If only the arm were about 6 inches longer.

John

John, thanks for that info.
    Keith