Thread: Recommend bandsaw blade w x tpi for this

Recommend bandsaw blade w x tpi for this

I helped a friend get most of the way through a Morris chair build, and now it is time to bandsaw the curved back slats.

See the pic attached of the SU model. The top slat is 3-7/8" H and the others are 2-1/2".

The inside and outside curved faces have a pretty big radius. The stock to be cut is kiln dried black cherry.

The only available bandsaw is an old Jet JWBS-12OS 12-incher that has an 82" blade length. I suggest he use a 3/8" 4 TPI blade available from multiple makers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

First how thick are the slats? You want to keep 3 teeth in the stock at all times so a 4tpi blade is good down to 3/4". Any blade width that will fit the saw will cut that wide of a radius so the main issue is getting a high enough TPI without going too high and taking forever to make the cuts. There are tons of online and likely a local supplier or two that will weld whatever blade length you need almost always cheaper than the pre-packaged blades.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    First how thick are the slats? You want to keep 3 teeth in the stock at all times so a 4tpi blade is good down to 3/4". Any blade width that will fit the saw will cut that wide of a radius so the main issue is getting a high enough TPI without going too high and taking forever to make the cuts. There are tons of online and likely a local supplier or two that will weld whatever blade length you need almost always cheaper than the pre-packaged blades.
    OP says the slats are 2-1/2" high - isn't that what matters? Or does thickness have an impact on blade choice, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    OP says the slats are 2-1/2" high - isn't that what matters? Or does thickness have an impact on blade choice, too?
    You are absolutely correct! The curve on these will be cut through the 2 1/2" and 3 7/8" portions of the slats, not the thin part. So the OP was on the right track either a 3/8 or 1/2 blade and I would prefer 3TPI for those cuts on that saw.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

That's what I thought. I sold my Delta 14-inch bandsaw and my assortment of blades, one of which was a Woodslicer 1/2" 3 tpi that I used for resaw work. I was pretty certain it would track nicely through these large radii curves, but wanted confirmation.

The other part of the equation is tool setup, which I have to help with remotely at a distance of 1,000 miles. I want my guy to understand and apply everything there is to know about blade tracking, tension, bearing and guide placement, and fixturing. I am advising he do all this, and only when making satisfactory cuts in trial pieces of stock, then proceed.