Thread: A Greene and Greene-ish jewelry box

A Greene and Greene-ish jewelry box

As far as I know the Greene bros never designed a jewelry box. My wife and I like their esthetic so I wanted to make a box for my wife using some of their design features.

Mahogany and ebony finished with ruby shellac, with unfinished but waxed Alaskan yellow cedar for the till dividers. Pacific Silvercloth fabric to retard tarnish glued onto shop made mahogany plywood for the top panel, bottom panel, and removable till. SmartHinge brass hinges.

GG jewelry box - 4.jpgGG jewelry box - 3 (1).jpgGG jewelry box - 1.jpgGG jewelry box - 1 (3).jpg

Blog Entries
    Very nice work. Those hinges appear to be rather pricey....
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-08-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Very, very nicely done Sir! I may steal this design for personal use for my wife. Nicely done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Beautiful jewelry box. Love the G&G look!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very clever way to apply G&G touches to a small box. So, looks like faux frame and panel for the front and sides? Thanks for the idea.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 10-08-2018 at 6:05 PM.

That is sexy! Well done.
    -Lud

Thanks, folks. Yes, the hinges are a bit spendy. But the wood was all leftover from other projects so the hinges and cloth were my only expenses. And, hey, my wife is worth it! I also like the way the hinges work with the design, and they are pretty simple to fit. Finally, they stop at 95 degrees which is perfect for a small box hinge.

Yes, the side boards are solid with the center field recessed with a router. They were originally plain but when I dry fit everything before glue up I decided the surfaces needed another shadow line and this was a simple way to do it. Although it did make finishing a little tricky because of the inside corners.

Thanks for sharing. I love G&G. Pasadena is full of great examples.

https://gamblehouse.org/exterior/
    https://gamblehouse.org/interior/

Blog Entries
    A sweet little box with a load of interesting details. Well done.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice work! Everybody loves boxes. Silver cloth works and is a great idea.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Really nice box! Could you post the dimensions?

Sure: The top is 12-1/4" x 8-1/8". The box is about 1/4" less both dimensions. The box including the plinth and top is 5-1/8". The plinth and top are 5/8" thick. There isn't anything magical about the dimensions: my wife held out her hands and asked for "about yea by yea." I went with proportions of 3:4 adjusted for the size of the stock I had around. In drawings I played around with different heights and this looked about right from the front and the sides.

13. That's a very nice box.
    Lots of details that really work well together and even though there's a lot going on it is not too busy.
    I really like it a lot.