Thread: Rauchermann

Rauchermann

Rauchermann 1.jpg

My little snowman. He is hollow and when incense is placed inside, smoke exits through his pipe
    Last edited by Perry Hilbert Jr; 10-07-2018 at 7:45 PM.

Great idea. May have to steal it and make one.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

These come from the same German turning tradition which also produces the nutcracker figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    My little snowman. He is hollow and when incense is placed inside, smoke exits through his pipe
    Nice!

Now I want to make one, except I'm thinking of some variation, maybe a tipi. Or maybe a volcano.

Yes the town of Seifen in the Ertzgebirge area of Germany was known as the town with more lathes than families. This area is the home of the nutcracker and several other German Christmas decorations such as the German Pyramid, the Schwiboggen (candle arch) and the little smoking figures (Rauchermannerchen = little smoking men) My snow man figure is not nearly as fancy as the ones made in Germany, but the actual working pipe is my variation on the idea. When I was a child, many homes had little log cabin incense burners. They would be set out with pine incense at Christmas to make the house smell like Pine. The smoke from the incense in the log cabin would rise through the chimney. A few years ago, I saw a hand carved wooden dragon incense burner and the smoke came out the dragons nostrils. There is one thing, I have not seen here, and that is the type of turning called Reifendrehen. It appears very difficult. (search you tube for Reifendrehen to see a demonstration)

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    There is one thing, I have not seen here, and that is the type of turning called Reifendrehen. It appears very difficult. (search you tube for Reifendrehen to see a demonstration)
    One of my turning books describes this to make little animals and vehicles, but they called it something else. It's been on my bucket list.

I liked the little village in one of the videos.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    One of my turning books describes this to make little animals and vehicles, but they called it something else. It's been on my bucket list.

I liked the little village in one of the videos.
    A common English term for it is hoop turning. I've experimented some with the basic process. It's interesting but can become perplexing.