Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

8 Oct 2018

Greetings Everyone,
    Nothing woodworking wise to report this week but I did work way too many hours at the day job this week. I did get some critical things done but I just haven't figured out how being in meetings all day gets the real work done!? I had to finally reach a point to where I asked "do you want me in meetings all the time or do you want me getting actual work done?" Most of the I.T. meetings I've sat in over the years actually accomplish very little if anything. But enough of that. The weather is cooling off a bit and I'm really wanting to get back in the shop. I always have plans, but getting them to actually work out is another story.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

As most weekends, I worked on producing parts to finish the interior trim of our home. Today I did some of the cutting to make the White Oak saddles between the rooms. I also got 3 of them rabited to fit the varying floor heights, fitted between the jambs and notched for the plinths. Only 8 more to go!

This past week was busy...finished up CNC machining a chair seat subcontract, cut and painted a small memorial garden sign and kitted out some beautiful English brown oak for a hall table commission. There was the usual food shopping and lawn mowing on the weekend and the usual dealing with the "joy of fatherhood" with two adult daughters. More of the same this week I'm sure...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Kind of a low key weekend for me. Watched the Brewers on Friday night, yeah. Watched the Packers on Sunday, yuck.

I did get out to the workshop and got some oak and cherry milled up for a couple of projects. All set for rough cutting. Letting it acclimate for a day.

Bumming around Italy

Well, I didn't go to work, haven't been since 2006.

I did suffer through a couple of weeks in Italy. A horrible thing to suffer through but someone had to do it - our semiannual trip. My Lovely Bride does all the research, makes the plans, and pays for everything. We stayed a few days in Venice, a few more with friends in Merano and Sfruz in Northern Italy, drove through the Italian countryside to points further South, on to Vinci, then Florence (Firenze).

Walking on a trail high above Merano in the North. The culture in this area is a mix of German and Italian. Merano is the perfect tourist spot but without the tourists - visit before the USA and Far East masses discover it.
    Italy_2018_IMG_0311.jpg

Happened upon a sheep competition in the far North- the area here was 99% German. They take their sheep seriously. This was just over the mountain where Otzi the Iceman was discovered.
    Italy_2018_IMG_0315.jpg

From the balcony of our room in one mountain town in the middle of Tuscany.
    Italy_2018_IMG_0533.jpg

Venice was Venice - our 4th visit but always something new.
    Italy_2018_IMG_0070.jpg

Don't stay in Italy unless you enjoy eating. This was "Fish plate" on the menu.
    Italy_2018_IMG_2799.jpg

The wonderful Leonardo Da Vinci museum in Vinci. Tiny Vinci is so worth visiting. Bought the tee shirt.
    Italy_2018_IMG_0671.jpg

Even more fantastic is the Galileo museum in Florence. Some about Galileo but really about the advancement of science in Italy - precision instruments, navigation, optics, electricity, chemistry, physics, and so much more. The next time I go I want to spend a couple of days there. I think I took over 200 photos.
    Italy_2018_IMG_1112.jpg

And we finally saw Michelangelo's statue of David with our own eyes. It was far bigger than I imagined. Incredible.
    Italy_2018_IMG_0867.jpg

And then a 26-hour day getting home! That was an accomplishment.

JKJ

D0B7B016-1022-47A3-9713-1166C9E15E8A.jpgStarted to build a fractal burner this past weekend.....I got all the parts mounted and started to do some wiring.....This is gonna be fun when finished!
    I can sure make a mean pile of Saw Dust !!!

I could post a pic of a garbage can filled with scrap wood but I think most experienced woodworkers have created something similar.

Over a year ago I designed some end tables for my wife using Sketchup and some help from Dave Richards. This weekend I printed the drawings. I purchased the wood and put it in my shop to acclimate in August. Later this week I plan on cutting the wood to rough dimensions, jointing and planning it to rough dimensions. I will let it set for a couple more days and then begin the final milling and begin the joinery processes.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    I could post a pic of a garbage can filled with scrap wood but I think most experienced woodworkers have created something similar.
    Hey, I have the same thing just outside the shop!

When all four are full they go to the fifth can for compacting:

burn_barrel_stainless.jpg

JKJ

Hi, no wood working for me as;
    1) I sproinged my left shoulder (did something dumb and aggravated an old shoulder injury)
    2) It was Thanksgiving so we had Diann's parents, some other relatives and friends over for turkey dinner. Now I have turkey sandwiches with cranberries for lunch at work........Yummmmm..........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Well, I didn't go to work, haven't been since 2006.

I did suffer through a couple of weeks in Italy. A horrible thing to suffer through but someone had to do it - our semiannual trip. My Lovely Bride does all the research, makes the plans, and pays for everything. We stayed a few days in Venice, a few more with friends in Merano and Sfruz in Northern Italy, drove through the Italian countryside to points further South, on to Vinci, then Florence (Firenze).

Walking on a trail high above Merano in the North. The culture in this area is a mix of German and Italian. Merano is the perfect tourist spot but without the tourists - visit before the USA and Far East masses discover it.
    Italy_2018_IMG_0311.jpg

Happened upon a sheep competition in the far North- the area here was 99% German. They take their sheep seriously. This was just over the mountain where Otzi the Iceman was discovered.
    Italy_2018_IMG_0315.jpg

JKJ
    John,
    Well this got my attention! Sfruz is a very small village. My cousin Andrea Biasi is the mayor, his father Germano had a 4 generation woodworking business there. He just retired a couple years ago and unfortunately his sons did not want to continue the business. We took a group of woodworkers to his shop a few years ago.

My grandmother was born down in Romeno and other relatives are scattered around the Val Di Non and Val di Sol.

Its a beautiful region, similar to where I live in a lot of ways. On my bucket list is to move there for a year or two and learn the dialect.

Can you pronounce Sfruz correctly? I can’t to the delight of the relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    John,
    Well this got my attention! Sfruz is a very small village. My cousin Andrea Biasi is the mayor, his father Germano had a 4 generation woodworking business there...
    Can you pronounce Sfruz correctly? I can’t to the delight of the relatives.
    Interesting, small world fascinating! No, I can't pronounce it, despite much patient coaching - my mind is willing but my mouth, tongue and breath refuse to cooperate. The closest I can come kind of rhymes somewhere between "fruit" and "foot".

Some years ago we met a young lady learning English and her aunt on a train from Innsbruck to Venice. With an introduction by means of some little wooden finger tops I always carry as well as a backpack full of food (of great interest to a teenager), we had a time of delightful conversation and began communicating by email and Facebook. Fast forward a few years - we were invited to visit their home in Merano and were treated to a personal guided tour of the North, met some of their friends, and had a wonderful time and dinner with the grandparents in Sfurz with cooking lessons in down-home northern Italian country style. This summer, one of the friends came to TN to stay with us for a month and practice her spoken English, sparking envy and a waiting list for the others, tentatively scheduled for next summer. Each visit I take woodturned gifts. This trip we stayed with the family in Merano and in Sfruz stayed with the grandparents, walked to the Ristorante Pizzeria Credai, and toured the amazing Melinda apple coop. A good time was had by all!

JKJ

John,
    understand totally about trying to pronounce! That is a good story and glad you made the connection to Trentino!

The food from that region is great! I grew up with that from my grandmother. Here in the old mining camps of Colorado there are many descendants of the Trento region as many had to leave the region in the early 1900s. Very prosperous there now with the apples. There is a great magazine in English for all those who imigrated (FILO) that goes out every few months.

There are are many top end woodworking shops there. Another relative took me around to several cabinet, timber frame, furniture and door - window shops.