Thread: age of dresser, with wood, not plywood drawer bottoms.

age of dresser, with wood, not plywood drawer bottoms.

I picked up a oak dresser for free and I am trying to date it. It is oak veneer with solid oak face frame and main corner posts. I think it is about 1900. The drawer bottoms are not plywood, they are one piece pine? boards but only about 1/4" thick. Note these boards are one piece about 16" wide. I would say sawn not split.
    Also it has little metal cleats in the top of the frame rails to help support the drawer bottom as it comes out. Or maybe these are to prevent you from pulling the drawer all the way out. they have worn a groove clear through one drawer bottom about six inches long and an inch wide.
    The back is stile and rail with filler boards not plywood like more modern designs.
    Also why did they make it so high with a good amount of open space below the bottom drawer. Is that so they could sweep before vacuums came along. Maybe a space for the cat to sleep or to put your shoes.
    Bill D

The height is probably just a stylistic choice.

I suppose these drawer bottoms could be plys shaved with a plywood making lathe just cut extra thick.
    Bill D

From what you describe, turn of the last century or so sounds about right. Hard to say; it might depend on how up to date the manufacturer was with current tech as well.

I have a pair of mission oak pieces that have been in my family since 1860's. Their construction is very similar to what you are describing.

Yes, the furniture manufacturers gradually got away from using solid wood drawer bottoms when plywood became readily available, sometime after about 1900. The drawer bottoms could be thinner and were less likely to crack or split if made from plywood.

Charley