Thread: Table saw top.

Table saw top.

So I purchased a Saw Stop ICS about 9 years ago for my stairbuilding business. I retired 5 years ago and moved to N. Carolina. My hopes where to build a shop so I kept some of my tools and machines. The saw was stored in a shed which was weather tight. Well as most of you know, life gets in the way of our best laid plans and I'm just getting the saw moved into my shop. I'm cleaning the top which was in good condition but needed some cleaning and polishing.

Now I'm noticing some lines in the top, all running parallel to the blade. My First thought was that they were scratches, I don't remember them there but that was 5 years ago and I am 70. I'm now entertaining the idea that they are cracks in the top. None run to an edge. They are very difficult to tell if they are scratches or cracks.

So my question is, is there a way to tell without sometime like a magaflux? It's a little disappointing, not for my use but, at some time in the not to distant future I guess I will have to sell the saw and I'm sure a cracked table will hurt the value.
    Richard

Blog Entries
    Never in all my years of forum lurking & activity have I heard of a cracked table, other than the obvious result of a catastrophic incident. So I bet those aren't cracks. Might not hurt to take some really good high res photos & send them to SawStop tech support. They will certainly try to help sort out what they are.

If they are all parallel to the blade (and hence to the fence), could they be scratch lines caused running rough lumber or boards with embedded with sand grain or dirt? I have a line or two like that on my table.

If you spray some WD 40 on them, does it get absorbed in the "cracks?"

Simon

Blog Entries
    I’ve not yet seen a perfectly straight crack in cast iron.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    If they are all parallel to the blade (and hence to the fence), could they be scratch lines caused running rough lumber or boards with embedded with sand grain or dirt? I have a line or two like that on my table.

If you spray some WD 40 on them, does it get absorbed in the "cracks?"

Simon
    Spraying pb blaster in the top and it does not seem to run into the "cracks" like it does on the wing joints. Yes I have ran many heavy rough boards through the table saw over the years of use. Lots of 16' heavy oak for stair building.
    Richard

Scratches most likely. Post a couple pictures of it so we have a better idea what we’re talking about.