Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw noise help!!

Bandsaw noise help!!

Earlier this year I had a blade come off and tangle in the lower wheel, but it jammed tight in the upper wheel area. I have an Elektra Beckum ( bought at auction, made in Germany).
    I have taken the upper and lower apart many times since, triple checked each piece and the noise in the video is still there. I can not find any loose or wobble, and noise only happens under tension.
    Looking for suggestions or ideas. Wheel bearings are new.
    I can't get the video to upload or converted to an acceptable format. It was taken on my phone and is a Mp4 file.

For uploading video, have you tried the youtube app? (should be able to upload to youtube that way)

For noise, have you tried:
    - unplugged the saw and turned the wheels by hand
    - loosening all guides and throat insert to isolate to just the wheels and blade?
    - does this happen with all blades?
    - is the saw base fixed to bench?
    - is there much vibration in the saw?
    - are any of the tires out of true? (will usually show up with the blade deflecting with each revolution)

(would start thinking bearings or shaft if no issue with blade/guides or other interference)

Matt

Just put video on You tube so will see about getting it here.
    Wheel has been hand cranked and power on, noise both ways.
    I did with all guides etc backed off and nothing but wheels and blade, just thought I will double check with motor belt off.
    It happens with any blade once it gets enough tension to hold the blade
    There was some vibration until I replaced vbelt with link belts

Hopefully video is here..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NorTehA3RA

Does it steadily make that noise when powered up? If so I would think one could isolate it. That's not likely a bearing. It sounds like something making impact.

Clearly something making impact. I would think if you turned the wheel very slowly by hand you could hear/feel the impact. My gut reaction is that there is a piece of blade/broken casting/sheetmetal lurking behind a wheel or otherwise lodged. Is it under a tire? Can you listen while you turn it by hand to determine the location of the sound?

It does make the noise under power or turned by hand. Thinking I need to do some major replacement with upper tension pieces.
    Hard to get parts since it is German. Fastenal is supposed to be a distributor, but my local one has not been very helpful.
    Interesting aspect is mfg of Elektra beckum, bought by Metabo, then bought by Hitachi.

I have turned it by hand in both directions and with motor belt off. It makes the noise both ways and in spite of using my fingers on each piece I can't tell.
    I have taken everything off and inspected each piece for round, true etc and nothing.
    Getting frustrated because I love the saw. 17" throat and 12" height, 2hp 240 volt motor. Love for resaw.

Blog Entries
    Stethoscope or a dowel held in various spots with the other end at your ear can help isolate the location.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That is one short video!

Does it happen at the same spot each rotation or randomly?

Remove blade and turn on motor. If the noise persists it is not the blade or upper wheel. Did this start as soon as the blade broke. I agree it is something hitting. I would see about removing the upper back side wheel guard.
    I think it has to be wheel related. If it was blade guide it would be continuous. The thump means a wheel since it is not a bad blade. Have you checked the wheels for parallel and co planer under tension. You may have a bad bearing from the factory. Try rocking the wheels to check for bad bearings. Can you remove and reseat the tires without damaging them.
    Bil lD.

Video is too short to tell. what is the period of the thump related to the wheel. once or maybe twice per revolution would indicate a bad wheel/tire.
    Bil lD.

Check those spokes they look scratched about 3/4 of the way from center to rim.
    Bil lD

It looked to me like the wheel is out of round?
    WoodsShop

Take the band off and spin both wheels on their own, you could also remove both wheels and see if there are any marks on them where something is touching. If I could not find any evidence I reckon it will be in the tracking mechanism which really is a mechanism to change the angle of the wheel. if the band is removed and the top wheel angle changed by rocking the wheel back and forth it may give some indication as well.
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 10-07-2018 at 9:11 PM.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Don't know if this will help, but I had a similar noise on my band saw after a blade broke. It ended up being the tension indicator behind the wheel. It had gotten slightly bent just enough to hit the wheel. Took me a while to find it.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE