Thread: Removing glue

Removing glue

I'm building some shelves/cabinets in a mudroom, using cheap plywood. I did my best to clean up glue (Titebond 2) squeeze out and drips but missed a few or didn't get them wiped up as well as I had thought. Basically, glue stains, not clumps which could be chiseled off. While this isn't fine furniture, I'd like to remove what I can before finishing with something like a clear polyurethane. I'm worried that sanding will remove the veneer on the plywood (like I said it's cheap, so the veneer is probably quite thin). I've done a few searches but haven't found a consensus other than sanding. Any suggestions?

Tom

I use a small (1- 1.5" wide) carbide scraper or a card scraper. If the cheap plywood you mention is softwood like fir or birch from a BB store the outside layer may not be as thin as you assume. Sometimes I use a colored pencil to paint a little fake grain over the spot, just enough to make it less obvious. (I make enough mistakes that I have a collection of wood-tone pencils on hand.)

As you would already know, you should never wipe squeezeout on bare wood. Let it partially dry and then scrape it off

Doug

Blog Entries
    I agree that a careful approach with a card scraper is your best bet for recovering veneered surfaces. I have some that are very flexible for really delicate work but, find these smaller ones, although stiff, to be my go-to for situations like yours. The short edge of a more typical card scraper can work as well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

DNA will remove TB III, so maybe it will remove TB II as well. It takes awhile but it works on surface glue spots. I'm not sure it will pull up glue that's soaked in, but it's worth a shot.

John