Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric question (paging Julie Moriarty!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Absolutely tablesaw and dc should be on 240. That will reduce their needed amps by 50%.
    Bill D
    I am not disagreeing with you, BUT.... If he simply ran them on opposite legs, the result would be identical. (unless one is 120 and the other 240; they would both have to be the same voltage)

If your current sub panel is fed with something like 10-3 copper, your sunk.
    If he installed #10 because that's all he'd need for a 30A sub panel, then the answer is no
    Alrightie then...there's the answer....looks like my goose is cooked. .

The feed line is 10-3 - so- - I'm stuck with what I've got.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

The other answers say this but I will say it differently. The breaker must match the wire size. It can be smaller than the safe load on the wire but it cannot be bigger. If you put a big breaker on a small wire you risk overheating and a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    I would assume you mean a 30A 220V sub panel was installed. Which means you have 30A of 220V or 60A of 110V (30A from each leg).
    Rich, you didn't respond to this post. Its likely important.
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Paul Lawrence LXXI

5. It boils down to, what size wire was used to feed this panel. The breaker is there to protect the wire so it NEEDS to be sized properly to insure the load isn't too much. If the load is too much it can over heat the wire and be a serious fire threat.