Thread: Bought a Powermatic 50 off Craigslist today. What to go over before I put it to use?

Bought a Powermatic 50 off Craigslist today. What to go over before I put it to use?

Hi,
    I am new to the forum. I am setting up a shop in my garage and have learned a lot here the past few days. I had been planning to get a bench top jointer, but found a old Powermatic 50 on Craigslist today that I picked up for $100.00. It seems to be in good shape. The tables are both flat and the fence is straight and the knives look they are in good shape. Other than giving it a good cleaning what should be done before I put it in service? I downloaded the owners manual which goes over all adjustments. I plan to go through the machine using the manual to familiarize my self with it. I also got a Delta dust collector. Both pieces totaled $200.00.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_7463.jpg

That’s a great jointer. There’s seems to be quite a few on CL out here west coast.
    The only thing I would check before turning it on is that the gib screws are indeed tight and that’s it.
    Aj

Thanks. I will definitely do that. I am going to spend the night familiarizing myself with everything. I will give it try tomorrow

A powermatic model 50 for $100.00 would be a screamin deal here in minnesota. Very nice jointer!

I advise that you check the electrical. Don't do like I did and assume the previous owner was competent only to get a tingle up you arm! Life is too short to make it shorter.

Congrats BTW, they are well respected machines!

B

Good advice on the electrical. I would pop the belt off and check it, also check the bearings in the cutter head and the motor. Give them a spin and make sure there aren't any grainy sounds, and they aren't tight or loose. Just smooth with a little drag (from the grease). I would also take the knives out, clean them, and make sure the gibs are clean and undamaged. I bought a jointer or a planer, (I can't remember which) one of the knives was way too short. Say the minimum should have been 5/8, this was around 1/2! Just give it a good look over, it is a simple machine.

Good Luck!
    Stan

Thanks for all of the advice. I will check all of the suggested items tonight. I think I may order a knife set and replace the knives right from the get go.

May not be worth the trouble to you but the best way to check bearing is to remove the belt first. Then turn on motor and listen to it coast down. Turn cutter head by hand and feel for any roughness in bearings.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    May not be worth the trouble to you but the best way to check bearing is to remove the belt first. Then turn on motor and listen to it coast down. Turn cutter head by hand and feel for any roughness in bearings.
    Bill D
    Thanks, I transported it with the head separated from the base. I gave both a spin before installing the belt. Both were quiet and smooth.