Thread: Drive for Hollow

Drive for Hollow

Quite a few years back there were several post on making an adjustable drive for an item which is hollow such as a log (not on SMC as far as I can find)
    It was basically similar to an Elio drive but shop made.
    Your faceplate attached to 3/4 plywood and the ply could be 6", 9", 12" diameter....whatever you need.
    Screws then went through the ply into the work piece.
    Anyone remember those or have a link to a picture.... or a name of the chuck/drive I can search for?
    Thanks
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Seems like you got it figured out..... That's what I'd do. Add a horizontal and vertical line and add a few evenly spaced holes for the screws to adjust for different log sizes?

Mostly figured out. Seems there was something else which made it better but I can't remember.
    Gonna try a natural interior vase and use the jig for the tail stock since I don't have a steady rest.
    It will work as is.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Are you thinking of the longworth chuck? You can buy these or make them.

There's a guy "Jerry in Tucson" that made one. He also goes by Nubbs and Stubbs, or Stubbs & Nubbs on Wood Barter. Can't find him though. Somebody here will know.

nubsnstubs. I think it was an aluminum face plate drilled and tapped with many screws like 1/4 20, ground to a point and held with a nut on the back of the face plate. He will better describe it.

Last PDF on this page if I understand what your looking for: http://www.alstirt.com/Pages/Student%20Resources.html