Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kimono Style Work Coat?

Blog Entries
    Excellent, contact kezuroukai.us and see if they can help you out with one. Otherwise, Sayuri Suzuki of Suzuki-Tool could likely help out.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Excellent, contact kezuroukai.us and see if they can help you out with one. Otherwise, Sayuri Suzuki of Suzuki-Tool could likely help out.
    Brian, thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Lost the location of the vid. It's a full cross front for coverage, with tighter sleeves than the norm and was no danger.. It was regular denim. I suppose I could substitute a Judo Gi, but I think this work coat had a pocket in front.
    When in YT look at you watch history and you will find it again.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Derek,
    The garment you're looking for is called a Samue. Here is a reference to it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samue

They were originally work clothes worn by monks. There is some spiritual and meditative meaning that goes along with them. I think you can find them on Amazon (US) or definitely Amazon.jp. You'll find other places that sell them online too.

I see them all over the place here in Tokyo. Also popular is a work apron that simply ties around the waist.

Good luck in your search,
    Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Derek,
    The garment you're looking for is called a Samue. Here is a reference to it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samue

They were originally work clothes worn by monks. There is some spiritual and meditative meaning that goes along with them. I think you can find them on Amazon (US) or definitely Amazon.jp. You'll find other places that sell them online too.

I see them all over the place here in Tokyo. Also popular is a work apron that simply ties around the waist.

Good luck in your search,
    Edwin
    Edwin, thanks so much. Yep...that's it. And ya, I'm sure they are common in Japan. Now that I have a name, hopefully it'll be easier to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post

Woah! How do you know them? Are you a designer?. I love all of this!

Blog Entries
    How about this one???? Master Craftsman Kimono
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tiwa togawa View Post
    Woah! How do you know them? Are you a designer?. I love all of this!
    I knew Sayuri from ordering tools at that time. I know her from Kez USA now.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Dentist coat?
    Bill D.

Probably you’d be looking for something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Edoten-Japan-.../dp/B00AEGIWC8. (Edoten is also a seller on Amazon JP; with the yen so cheap to the dollar sometimes you can actually pay less ordering from there.) If visiting Tokyo, there are a small number of specialty stores like https://www.a-kimonoya.com/ in Asakusa.

Samue are certainly more available in Japan but hardly something everyone owns. Durable, cotton, Made in Japan versions tend to run somewhat around 18000 yen or so (obviously adjust for international shipping and middlemen and such) but lighter or more “fast fashion” level models also exist at half that or less. Also not something you’d really want to wear around power tools, what with the loose sleeves and closing via cords that can dangle.