Thread: "No Soup" Persimmon

1. "No Soup" Persimmon

This wood came from an old couple's yard. The man told me about the tree falling and said he thought it was a "Hackmore"... I thought maybe it would either be a Sycamore or a Hackberry, but when I got there discovered a Persimmon eat up with worms. I got one solid bowl out of it that I gave to them, and then started on this wormy piece.

I spent a few hours pickin' out worm "residue" from all these holes. Several times - in between cramps in the hands - I asked myself if it was worth it... it could have been better, but it could have been worse... howz that for a self-assessment...

7-1/2" wide, just shy of 3" tall, walls are 5/16" thick. I drowned it in BLO/TO and after it dried for a while I hand rubbed some wipe-on poly on and then polished by hand.

Can't decide if I like the dark or light background - so you get 'em both...

No soup outta this bowl - unless you eat fast!!!

Last edited by Mark Cothren; 11-27-2005 at 8:18 PM.

I guess worms got to eat too huh?
    Man they did a number on that piece of wood!
    Nice unique looking bowl Mark!
    Glad you stuck with it, I can see many hours picking crap out of those holes.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Well, Mark looks like this piece has more worm tunnels than solid wood. No soup, no nuts, no wood....Nicely done on a piece of character filled wood!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Great job Mark, you have more Patience that I do......
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

To echo what Dick said, definitely a lot more patience than what I'd have for something like that! Most certainly worth your efforts, Mark! Beautiful piece!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

A Mark,
    I just TOTALLY agree with Jim, them worms didnt have a chance.
    Bill.>>>>>>>>>

That is quite a piece. Not sure which way it looks better, upside down or rightside up...in either case it is very nice.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Hey Mark! If you cant eat soup out of that bowl you could use it as a colander whatta ya think?

Seriously you did a great job with it and showed more patience than I have.

Bob

Wow Mark, nice job. I guess you have a little tiny poopy scooper.

Ernie

I've always liked these wormy pieces, albeit they do make using the vacuum chuck, um...difficult! Nice job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Awesome Piece Mark!!!! I love to see people turn the wormy stuff. Bruce Shiverdecker got me started and I can't get enough of it.....course, I get a little tired of worm guts being splattered on my face....but hey...it's worth it in the end
    I think I like the dark background with the concave pic and the light background with the convex. weird eh?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson