Thread: How to install a Wixey Planer Height Gauge on a Powermatic 209 20" Planer?

How to install a Wixey Planer Height Gauge on a Powermatic 209 20" Planer?

I have a Powermatic 209 20" planer, and a Wixey planer Height Gauge. There doesn't seem to be a convenient place to install the gauge. The gear box, belt cover, and power switch all take up a lot of room, and the table is much narrower than the top. I would like to hear how other people have done this.
    Thank you
    William Hodge

I have the exact same plans. It'll be interesting to see some solutions.

The best place seems to be right where the on off switch is. Given that the switch is on the wrong side of the planer for my normal use, it's worth it to move the switch.

Post some pictures of your planer,would make it easier to offer suggestions.

Your best option might be to skip the wixey that only reads in low resolution and pick up one of the inexpensive igaging readouts that reads to .0005. We had a wixey on a planer for a while but the .005 resolution proved a pain in a lot of areas.

William I am not sure what your planer looks like. I have a Delta DC380. (4 post) and mounted my wixey on the gear box cover and bottom corner of the cast iron base (planer table). Only thing I changed was I bought grade 5 metric bolts and drilled and tapped instead of using the supplied cheapo screws. Install is on the back righthand corner of machine when you are standing in front of it. Mike.

Don't know what your planer looks like but I have a Jet 15" and this is how I mounted mine.

When I bought my 209 planer several years ago, I got a free DRO from Powermatic. Of course, installation was my responsibility. The instructions from Powermatic directed me to install the DRO on the right post of the infeed side. That meant I needed to remove the existing ruler gauge mounted there and move the locking knobs to the left side of planer. Maybe that's is your best solution . I don't know if the Wixey is similar to the one supplied by Powermatic. Good Luck!

Thank you for the responses. I would have bought a more accurate gauge if I knew it only measured to.005". However, it's a step up from the Starrett ruler I had glued to the height gauge.

Leo, the photos help. It looks like I can do the same thing.

Bill, I had not thought of moving the lock knobs to the other side of the planer.

William Hodge
    1791297_det1.jpg1791297_main.jpg
    Last edited by William Hodge; 10-06-2018 at 9:35 PM.