Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gang cut first dovetails in anger or no?

Gang cut first dovetails in anger or no?

Working on my Dutch toolchest and it’s going have my first non-practice dovetails (though I messed up a run at it earlier when trying to cope out the waste). The Schwarz and at least one other place I’ve seen recommends doing them this way and in another forum it was recommended not doing so on your first dovetails.

So what are y’all’s thoughts on the subject?

I don’t like to gang cut my tails. On the occasions that I get to do some pure hand tool wood working, I prefer to relax and be present for each cut, each chop, every shaving. It’s kinda zen for me, and I don’t like to be in a hurry. Every time I see Schwartz sawing away like a jack rabbit on meth It makes my skin crawl.

That said, it’s possible that there is an added benefit to gang cutting aside from speed, maybe someone will have that to add.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post

That said, it’s possible that there is an added benefit to gang cutting aside from speed, maybe someone will have that to add.
    Gang cutting gives a long line to follow, in addition to getting two tails done at the same time (coping the waste is also done with two tails together).

In a skilled hand, the dovetail results will be the same, gang cutting or not unless speed matters.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Gang cutting dovetails makes keeping square a bit easier.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    it was recommended not doing so on your first dovetails.

So what are y’all’s thoughts on the subject?
    Unless the woodworker has not done dovetails for some time and does not plan to do a bit of warm-up cuts, I don't see any reason why such recommendation makes sense. If I do gang cutting, I always start with the first tails and then the rest of the tails.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    I don’t like to gang cut my tails. On the occasions that I get to do some pure hand tool wood working, I prefer to relax and be present for each cut, each chop, every shaving. It’s kinda zen for me, and I don’t like to be in a hurry. Every time I see Schwartz sawing away like a jack rabbit on meth It makes my skin crawl.

Fitting description of Schwartz in almost everything he does. I laughed.

Most people see a noticeable difference between their first couple dovetails and the ones they cut after a few more tries. With that in mind, I wouldn't start out gang cutting. (Gang cutting is really about speeding up the process. When you're new at dovetailing, accuracy and consistency are more important than speed IMO.) Do several practice dovetails on scrap. Then cut your "real" dovetails separately.

I recently finished doing about 90 dovetails just for practice. Took multiple weekends, but I became obsessive about it and couldnt stop until I got it right, consistently. I was at around #20 or so before I tried gang cutting. That's just me. But I wouldn't start out gang cutting on a real project. Get the hang of it first.

In case it helps, this thread tries to capture what I learned while doing all those dovetails, and what others added to my notes: DOVETAIL CUTTING LINK
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-05-2018 at 9:32 PM. Reason: Added link
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

If doing tails first:

1) Only mark the baseline for the tails on the inside faces of the boards.
    2) Put the boards together outside face to outside face (for no tear out, and so that the baselines on the inside faces are visible).
    3) Gang saw the tails.
    4) Separate the boards, then on the outside faces, mark the baseline only for the waste.
    5) Remove the waste.

Result: No baseline marks to remove.
    Last edited by John Schtrumpf; 10-05-2018 at 9:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schtrumpf View Post
    1)
    Good point.

I leave all the gauge lines behind -- just my style.

Simon

Tony, just how many ends are you cutting? If 20 or so, then I would support gang cutting. If 2, even 4 ends for a chest, then do them singularly. It only makes some sense to do a few ends together if the boards are thin, and ganging them up makes it less likely for coarser teeth to catch. Besides, there is so much pleasure in sawing dovetails, why rob yourself of the opportunity?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by John Schtrumpf View Post
    If doing tails first:

1) Only mark the baseline for the tails on the inside faces of the boards.
    2) Put the boards together outside face to outside face (for no tear out, and so that the baselines on the inside faces are visible).
    3) Gang saw the tails.
    4) Separate the boards, then on the outside faces, mark the baseline only for the waste.
    5) Remove the waste.

Those are some great tips.

I’ve tried gang cutting tails and I’m terrible at it. I think my saw cut thin boards better
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Tony, just how many ends are you cutting? If 20 or so, then I would support gang cutting. If 2, even 4 ends for a chest, then do them singularly. It only makes some sense to do a few ends together if the boards are thin, and ganging them up makes it less likely for coarser teeth to catch. Besides, there is so much pleasure in sawing dovetails, why rob yourself of the opportunity?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I’m only cutting the two sides. I actually do like sawing the dovetails, I just haven’t found a method of removing waste I like. Too much chopping with chisels alone, too many broken fret saw blades, and tried my TFWW bowsaw today for the first time and it was tough to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    too many broken fret saw blades, and tried my TFWW bowsaw today for the first time and it was tough to turn.
    Did you try a coping saw (the blade is much stronger, and the turning is gentle as you saw down at a slope)?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Did you try a coping saw (the blade is much stronger, and the turning is gentle as you saw down at a slope)?

Simon
    That will be next I think.