Thread: Laguna LT14 SUV Sale - need help with a choice

Laguna LT14 SUV Sale - need help with a choice

My apologies for yet another newbie bandsaw question. I haven't posted here in years, I mainly lurk and find what I need using search but I still haven't seen much on the Grizzly G0817. After years of delay, I'm finally looking at getting my 1st bandsaw. I'm leaning toward one of the larger 14" 220 saws and thought I was going to pull the trigger on the Griz G0817 ($1425 with $115 shipping) despite seeing few concrete reviews. Then last night I noticed that woodcraft is selling the Laguna LT14 SUV for $1499 with $75 shipping.

sale.jpg

So looking for thoughts on these 2 saws... is there even a question of which I should go with? I've only used one of the larger Laguna Italian saws and I was under the impression that their lower priced stuff had some issues. Generally I prefer to get the top of the line from a lower priced brand than the lower end of a higher priced brand which is one of the reasons the G0817 appealed to me.

So does anyone have hands on experience with these saws? Which would you choose?

Thanks much.

First, my hand on experience with the 817 is limited to the showroom and given there seems to be so few in the wild (you just don't see reviews of them) it is doubtful you will find many people who have actually used both.

For me it is really a no-brainer for essentially the same price. The SUV has been out for years and acquitted itself well. It is a slightly heavier saw with a 3hp vs 2hp motor and while neither hit my preferred 1/4hp per inch of resaw the Laguna is a lot closer. I much prefer the Laguna guides, ball bearing guides are my least favorite and the Grizzly's guides are not toolless. I do prefer the taller hi-lo extrusion on the Grizzly fence but hate the locking lever that sticks straight out.

The Laguna SUV is my favorite 14" saw currently out and the Rikon 10-353 is second. Both of those are a step above the Grizzly IMO where the Grizzly sits closer to the 14BX.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks for the reply. This echos what I was assuming but I just wanted to check myself. Funny how you can mentally committed to something and you get attached to going that route. (I had decided on the Grizzly so was second-guessing the switch) I wasn't considering the Laguna before as the Grizzly was already at the high end of my price range. Being 6'5" I do like the table height of the Grizzly better, but that and the larger table were really the only specs that it 'wins' for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sepucha View Post
    Being 6'5" I do like the table height of the Grizzly better, but that and the larger table were really the only specs that it 'wins' for me.
    Getting the table higher is fairly easy, getting it lower is quite a bit harder...

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have had both brands of band saws and still have a Laguna, I have other Grizzly tools in my shop currently but my pick would be the Laguna
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Thanks a lot Dave, You just cost me about $1600 !! If they had them in stock at Woodcraft I would be playing with it today. Have you made a choice yet?

Marty

Don't blame me, blame Woodcraft! I plan to order the Laguna this weekend. Turns out I'll have to swap out the outlet on the circuit I plan to use since it's currently wired for a 6-15 plug though it's a 20A breaker. This was my other concern, Laguna specifies using a circuit with a 30A breaker which I don't currently have. Lots of threads on here indicate that running this saw on a 20A circuit is fine. So that's what I plan to do.

Don't blame me, blame Woodcraft! I plan to order the Laguna this weekend. Turns out I'll have to swap out the outlet on the circuit I plan to use since it's currently wired for a 6-15 plug though it's a 20A breaker. This was my other concern, Laguna specifies using a circuit with a 30A breaker which I don't currently have. Lots of threads on here indicate that running this saw on a 20A circuit is fine. So that's what I plan to do.
    It's easy to change the plug on it. If it has one. I already have a 30 amp circuit. I use the twist lock plugs. So no issues here. I am a Lineman so I know how to wire . I'm not licensed or up on codes. I see your in Colorado and I have "Sparky" friends so if you are around Denver I could try and help.

Now I need to order some blades!

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Getting the table higher is fairly easy, getting it lower is quite a bit harder...
    Lowering is easy - - if it's a"two piece" saw. I made a base that is about 4" lower than the factory base for my Rikon 10-325. If I were doing it again, I'd have made it the same height or slightly higher than my Griz Table saw or Jet J/P. That would give me stable infeed/outfeed surfaces.

Man, who knew I was so wishy-washy...

Last night I had everything int my cart and was about to click 'buy' and started having second thoughts. After chewing on it for a day, I ended up ordering the 14Bx 220. Although the current deal on the SUV is better (the Bx is just 10% off list) the BX has ALL of the features I was looking for plus Laguna guides. (Initially I was thinking Laguna would be too pricey) It also has a table that is 3" higher than the SUV. I was concerned about this, actually read some reviews from people shorter than me complaining about the table height and checked out a friends Italian 18 with a low table. The vast majority of the work I will do will be with small pieces and I'll be doing a fair amount of curve cutting. I'll also occasionally be resewing 8 inch pieces.

So I was able to get the 14Bx with a Resaw King and a 1/4" blade for about the price of the SUV. I'm happy.

It also has a table that is 3" higher than the SUV. I was concerned about this, actually read some reviews from people shorter than me complaining about the table height and checked out a friends Italian 18 with a low table. The vast majority of the work I will do will be with small pieces and I'll be doing a fair amount of curve cutting. I'll also occasionally be resewing 8 inch pieces.

So I was able to get the 14Bx with a Resaw King and a 1/4" blade for about the price of the SUV. I'm happy.
    I have BSs with low tables for resawing and higher tables for contour cutting. It is simply one of those areas that one saw can't be perfect for everything...

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I figured since resawing was the secondary use for me that I'd go with the taller one. Thanks again for your help. The amount of content you've posted here about bandsaws is insane. (In a good way...)