Hello All - I'm new to the Sawmill. Found it in an online search for more info on lasers for sheet metal work. If this is in the wrong section moderators - please move.

I've seen Vytek, Kern, Trotec among others. I'm exploring options to bring my cutting in house (currently done by a sheet metal "job shop" using a production Trumpf laser (3-5kW) which is not in my price range unless I find a smoking deal on a used one). Honestly I'm not even ready to buy anything for a year or so, but trying to start doing my homework now. I want a 5' x 10' sheet capacity and would LIKE to be able to cut 3/16" or even 1/4" steel at times - but high majority of work in 18 ga steel.

Not sure if this is even realistic for these "in between" machines? It seems like most users here are doing engraving with their lasers? Does anyone use regularly for sheet metal cutting? I plan to buy an American made machine if at all possible. I have looked at plasma and the cut quality is just not acceptable to me after using laser or waterjet for so many years. I may be forced to look at waterjet or a used industrial laser to do what I want? I'm wondering how speed of cut on these "mid-range" lasers compare to the larger machines. I know it's slower - but haven't got the specs yet to see just how much?

Appreciate any user input or suggestions for options to consider
thanks!