Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Bandsaw Mobility Issue

Big Bandsaw Mobility Issue

Hello,

I have a 600 pound bandsaw in my basement that came with a mobility kit that never worked particularly well. I am in a small space and moving the saw to accommodate the use of other tools would be helpful. The base of the saw is 33" x 18". I have to confess that I have not researched my options for purchasing a suitable mobile base.

As shown in the picture, each corner has a threaded hole that was made in the factory by welding a metric nut to the underside of the sheet steel base. I am considering purchasing 4 pieces of 4" x 4" steel plate, fastening each to a corner of the base via the threaded hole while making sure the two outside edges (of the plate) support the corners of the base and, and finally, bolting a caster to each of these plates.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just scoot it around. Everything is mobile by scooting, up to about 1200 pounds.

Are you trying to move it around frequently, or just once in a while? If once in a while, do as Darcy suggests and scoot it. Or here's what I do - keep a few pieces of iron pipe around, tilt the machine, slide the pipes under and roll it around like the egyptians did. Use anything handy as a lever if needed to tilt. If you want to be high class, you can get four machine skates in lieu of the pipes.

As tempting as the thought of casters are on a large machine, I think it's optimal to have the machine leveled and sitting on a solid floor, as it was designed to be. So if you were thinking of moving the machine frequently, maybe re-think that and find a permanent home for it.
    Edwin
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 10-04-2018 at 11:43 PM.

I would use angle iron since the center of the caster should be outside the base footprint for stability.
    Bil lD

A pallet jack would do the trick and be useful in the shop for moving all kinds of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kirincich View Post
    Hello,

I have a 600 pound bandsaw in my basement that came with a mobility kit that never worked particularly well. I am in a small space and moving the saw to accommodate the use of other tools would be helpful. The base of the saw is 33" x 18". I have to confess that I have not researched my options for purchasing a suitable mobile base.

As shown in the picture, each corner has a threaded hole that was made in the factory by welding a metric nut to the underside of the sheet steel base. I am considering purchasing 4 pieces of 4" x 4" steel plate, fastening each to a corner of the base via the threaded hole while making sure the two outside edges (of the plate) support the corners of the base and, and finally, bolting a caster to each of these plates.

Steve
    Steve, I did something similar with my Hammer N4400. However, this weighs 375 lbs, which is about half yours.

The mass of the bandsaw is enough to keep it from moving around when in use. At the weight of yours, on the other hand, this may not be as easy.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Like Peter, I use a pallet jack. I have bolted simple 4x4's to the base of several large tools, like a 24" band saw, and they are easily moved.

This may not be best for your basement, depending on size. I store the jack with the legs under the end of a bench, and only the back wheels and handle take up any storage space.

One problem came up with the BS. I used lag screws to bolt to the 4x4, and they stuck up enough to block opening of the lower door. Tapped a dowell into the hole and used Spax 1/4" low profile lags from HD. Just enough clearance.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Does it have to be cheap? The best base I know of is for the Industrial SawStop saw. It uses a small hydraulic cylinder to lift the machine with a couple of presses on a foot pedel. When at rest the machine sits on steel straps in contact with the floor so it only elevates the table 1/4" except when moving it..

I bought one for a milling machine. I don't remember the footprint but it didn't matter to me since my mill is smaller and I needed to build a custom cabinet anyway.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kirincich View Post
    Hello,

Steve

Thanks for the input. The pallet jack would work if I had the space to use and store one. I did find a mobile base sold by Grizzly that would just fit. I have some 4x6 boards from a treehouse project that could be used with my casters. The extra height would be nice since the bandsaw table has always been a bit lower than I would like.

With a table saw, planer, and bandsaw in a relatively small place, I only need to move the bandsaw occasionally. I am still able to muscle the bandsaw around slowly, but being within a fit or two of a gas line has made me rethink this method. Not sure if scooting the saw is a good long-term ergonomic plan.

You could use casters of the type you illustrate that have a threaded stud to match the threaded holes in the base of the saw. When they are in their "stationary" mode, there's no wheel on the floor and the saw should be just as stable as it would be on the base alone. Yes, it would be very nice to have a wider footprint, but that comes with downsides, too, including knicking and knocking your ankles...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here's another option, lever design by Bob Minchin (AKA 9fingers)
    The only thing I changed on my second version, was to make more surface area on the underside of the foot lever (40mm wide box iron foot lever)
    as it does not get stuck now beyond the engaged point, so it rests on the angled area, as v.1 had only a small area of contact.
    In other words it engages now and will stay put/lock at 90 degrees not go beyond it.
    I only had thin walled 40mm box section at hand, so I welded a bit of extra stuff to it as it was sharp and had damaged my boots before whilst retracting them.
    Tom
    SAM_0941.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 10-05-2018 at 12:39 PM.

I have long thought that the electric car seat height adjusters would make a nice braking system for a mobile base. You would have to make 12 volt dc to run them.
    Bill D

Machine leveling casters will work fine, I have them on two of my saws, both larger than yours. As Jim mentioned get them with the stud to match (or use a matching stud) that is how mine are connected. The only issue with the machine leveling casters is it takes time to crank all four up, that and it raises your table which I prefer for my use since I have them on low table saws (MM) and I am using those particular saws for contour cutting, I prefer my resawing saws as low as possible.

I am guessing you had a lifting bar (Euro) type mobile "base". I like them a lot because they don't impact the normal base of the machine and are quick to use but aren't as mobile as four swivel casters.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Did this with my Hammer N4400: LINK
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I did what you are considering on a 24" Centauro (Minimax). It weighs about 600 or 700 pounds and it works beautifully. As Jim Becker mentioned you could also use inserts. Many bandsaws have a threaded hole either 10 or 12mm. When you buy the casters you also buy the inserts then just thread them in. Of course you have to lift the bandsaw to gain access to the holes but that should not be too difficult.

What bandsaw is it?