Thread: WinCNC Question

WinCNC Question

It's been about five years since I ran this program and It's coming back to me but, I'm still a little rusty.

Shouldn't I have a green indicator light at the red arrows, when I'm ready to run my file. I can't remember how to get these on. I've done my G28 and then set the program zero. What am I missing? I did a dry run of a simple file and it appeared to run correctly.

Thanks for the help, Tony
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 10-04-2018 at 9:29 PM.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Tony...
    The small green boxes are indicators of a user offset (G92) being set. They will appear once you set the XY and Z offsets or zero. If there is not a screen button to do this, and you need to, place the XY (or Z) at the location you wish that axis(or axes) to be referenced to and type in"G92 XY" for X and Y, or "G92 Z" for the Z axis.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Thanks, Gary
    I forgot to post the picture I had.

WinCNC.jpg

I'll check, but I think the setprg0 button is for G92 and I've got G92 listed in the top bar.
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 10-04-2018 at 9:47 PM.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”

Henry Ford

Tony...
    In your picture, the machine is at its machine X0, Y0 position. Move it a bit in X and Y and press the zero X and ZeroY buttons, your green boxes, showing that a user XY zero is active, will appear
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Thanks again, Gary
    That did the trick. I found I only had to move it a 64th of an inch for them to turn on. Could I have run the file from the machine zero?
    Why can't the program zero be set at the machine zero? Just curious. I'm trying to better understand some of the things I have to do.

Thanks, Tony

Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    Why can't the program zero be set at the machine zero? Just curious. I'm trying to better understand some of the things I have to do.
    "Theoretically" you can do that, but you have to account for the positional difference between machine-zero and the actual material you are working with. And most folks move things around, depending on the needs of the specific job, both in the design/toolpathing and when cutting. Some designs are best suited to "job zero" being in the center of the material and others are better with the "job zero" rather than that extreme physical corner of the machine. Setting a "job zero" lets you get things going without a lot of math... I've never used "machine zero" yet for cutting anything other than, perhaps, conditioning the spoilboard.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tony...
    Could I have run the file from the machine zero?
    Of course you can

Why can't the program zero be set at the machine zero?
    Because there is no "user offset" in play as you are still at the machine XY zero. Like you say, move it a thousandth of an inch and a user offset can be set
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Jim,
    A little background, I ran this machine(4X8 with ATC) for about five years when it was new(around 2009). The machine was sold about two months ago and is now in my shop.

I understand the concept of "job zero" which I call program zero. I've used it hundreds of times in the past. I had never used machine zero to run a part. The reason I was asking about machine zero was to drill my spoilboard(3/4"MDF) for screws. The 3/4" PVC type vacuum table was drilled and tapped from the manufacturer. The MDF had never replaced from when I ran it years ago and was in bad need of replacement. I'm slowly getting back up to speed. I feel I better understand it's operation now than I did then, strange I know.

BTW Thanks for a good explanation.

Tony

PS: I have used Aspire since day. Now using V2.5 but, looking forward to upgrading very soon.
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 10-05-2018 at 8:47 PM.

Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Why can't the program zero be set at the machine zero?
    Because there is no "user offset" in play as you are still at the machine XY zero. Like you say, move it a thousandth of an inch and a user offset can be set
    An explanation which should have been obvious, but only made sense to me with your answer. I only use wish there was a "WinCNC for Dummies" book.

Thanks again for your time, Tony

Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    The reason I was asking about machine zero was to drill my spoilboard(3/4"MDF) for screws.

Well...there you go. Your "material" boundary actually matches your machine's "ground zero". So yea, I'd be using that front corner for zero for the purpose you have here!

You'll be very pleased with all the stuff added to Aspire v9.5xx as compared to your current v2.5...lightyears of features! And it's great you have that machine to get back into things. I'll be jealous of your 4x8 capacity. While my 4x4 is "adequate", I sometimes wish I could have fit the larger machine into my space. But alas...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You'll be very pleased with all the stuff added to Aspire v9.5xx as compared to your current v2.5...lightyears of features! And it's great you have that machine to get back into things. I'll be jealous of your 4x8 capacity. While my 4x4 is "adequate", I sometimes wish I could have fit the larger machine into my space. But alas...
    I've followed along as newer versions of Aspire were released. I'm especially looking forward to the threading capabilities. And better drawing tools. Still it's going to be almost like a new software to learn.

Over the course of my time not running a CNC, I thought a lot about size. Really a 4'X4' will do 90% of the projects I have run in the past and the other 10% 4'X8' was not big enough(architectural millwork projects). Fortunately for me I had some input on this router when it was bought new. I suggested a spindle and tool changer, the owner already wanted 4'X8' to be able to cut plywood on for customers, although it was used very little for that. I was ambivalent about a vacuum table and turns out it was rarely used, I've not decided if I'll even hook it up for use in my shop.

Tony

Henry Ford

I honestly don't think you'll have much issue adapting to the new version of the Vectric software. All/most-of the tools you're used to are still there...there's just a lot more of them now and there are more options for each to better refine both drawing and toolpaths. I've watched a lot of videos this year, both before I took delivery of my Stinger II and since and even those that used much older versions of the software were comfortable to me to watch. Vectric has done a good job at consistency as they have added more and more stuff as well as moving some things from "gadgets" to fully integrated features. You'll be fine.

Ya, 4x4 works pretty good for me, too, but there are a few things that I really could benefit from the larger bed if I had it, such as my tack trunk commissions. As to vacuum, I thought I wouldn't want or need it, but I'm having second thoughts about that. I may add it in 2019 if certain business deals transpire to cover the cost of equipping myself for that.
    --