Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Widow Burl - sold!

Black Widow Burl - sold!

IMG_oasis1163.jpg This is a pic taken at the gallery of that chestnut oak burl hollow form I posted some pics over on WoW during the roughout phase, and had a black widow spider come out of the thing and get into my Trend Airshield Pro helmet. That was a tense couple of minutes! At any rate the thing sold the 2nd day of our October show "Inspirations from the Shenandoah Valley" for $400.
    The grain is beautiful, and the bark inclusions are wild! Here is the other side with a hole in it.
    IMG_Oasis1162.jpg I still have the other half of this burl, which when whole weighed in at over 400 lbs.
    Comments always welcome!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 10-04-2018 at 5:22 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Great job on the form of that piece, it is very nice. When I read the thread title, I wondered if it referred to Black Willow burl and was a spelling error. I hope the spider did not raise your blood pressure too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    Great job on the form of that piece, it is very nice. When I read the thread title, I wondered if it referred to Black Willow burl and was a spelling error. I hope the spider did not raise your blood pressure too much.
    Thanks Dennis!

Roger, what are the dimensions of this beautiful piece?

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLES D Richards View Post
    Roger, what are the dimensions of this beautiful piece?
    13” high X 13” wide at the shoulder....approximately.

Thanks Roger,
    I used my formula for figuring the price of a HF and the selling price was dead on 😁

Thanks Roger,
    I used my formula for figuring the price of a HF and the selling price was dead on 
    Charles, would you be willing to share the pricing formula you use for turnings? Of course, we know that different markets and locations, as well as the special nature of certain pieces of wood affect pricing, but it would be nice to see how you as an individual turner approach the process of pricing woodturnings.

Roger, as you said this is just a guide but it's where I start anyway and adjust accordingly to the specifics you mentioned.

Height + width x 15. Your HF came out to $390. Personally I think the buyer got a real bargain. For me it would have been $450-475, but that's just me 😁

Dave

Roger, as you said this is just a guide but it's where I start anyway and adjust accordingly to the specifics you mentioned.

Height + width x 15. Your HF came out to $390. Personally I think the buyer got a real bargain. For me it would have been $450-475, but that's just me 

Dave
    Thanks for posting your formula! I also think the buyer got a great bargain! That burl is a unique and beautiful piece of wood!

How this burl started out on my lathe........DSC_0770.jpg IMG_g08001097.jpg
    Thought it might be interesting to some to see such a large and heavy piece handled by this lathe. The hollowing was done on my G0766 because I did not have a baseplate for my Monster Hollowing rig that would fit my G0800, as the gap on the 0800 is 2.5 inches and the gap on the G0766 is 1.5 inches. Both lathes handled this piece of chestnut oak burl with lots of power and torque at low speeds. High torque at low rpm's is something the G0800 excels at!

Roger, beautiful form on this piece and the wood speaks for itself, as it should. Glad to see that you didn't do any fill work especially in that larger void. And of course congrats on the sale. As for pricing on that particular piece I think you were way under valued. In this part of the Valley, which isn't far from you, I would have between $900 and $1000 on that piece. I think for those of us that sell you start off by using a formula of sorts. But if you sell for a period of time the market will let you know what folks are willing to pay. I'm certainly not saying it would sell quickly, but it would surely sell. At my gallery I had a very similarly shaped piece of cherry burl that was roughly 8" x 8". It sold in the first month for $795.

Hope to see you next month at the symposium.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

this piece recently sold for $975 in south Georgia, so I agree with Tony. It was sold outside of a gallery but took a about 18 months for the right buyer to come along. The form may not be perfect to the fibonacci standards but the new owner was thrilled with it because of the uniqueness.
    IMG_20171022_170053__1539106271_25125.jpgIMG_20171030_190735__1539106559_14146.jpg
    Last edited by CHARLES D Richards; 10-09-2018 at 1:39 PM.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    Roger, beautiful form on this piece and the wood speaks for itself, as it should. Glad to see that you didn't do any fill work especially in that larger void. And of course congrats on the sale. As for pricing on that particular piece I think you were way under valued. In this part of the Valley, which isn't far from you, I would have between $900 and $1000 on that piece. I think for those of us that sell you start off by using a formula of sorts. But if you sell for a period of time the market will let you know what folks are willing to pay. I'm certainly not saying it would sell quickly, but it would surely sell. At my gallery I had a very similarly shaped piece of cherry burl that was roughly 8" x 8". It sold in the first month for $795.

Hope to see you next month at the symposium.
    I shoulda called you first, Tony! Got so much on my plate only the first day seems in play at the symposium right now....it could change, at any rate, hope to see you there!

14. Quote Originally Posted by CHARLES D Richards View Post
    this piece recently sold for $975 in south Georgia, so I agree with Tony. It was sold outside of a gallery but took a about 18 months for the right buyer to come along. The form may not be perfect to the fibonacci standards but the new owner was thrilled with it because of the uniqueness.
    IMG_20171022_170053__1539106271_25125.jpgIMG_20171030_190735__1539106559_14146.jpg
    Yeah...I might have to rethink things a bit! Thanks Charles!

How many hours do you have in it?
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA