Thread: Justifying a lathe purchase.

Justifying a lathe purchase.

So I currently own two lathes, an Oliver 159 and an Oliver 167. The 1951 Oliver 159 is a fairly heavy duty lathe and works wonderfully, The 167 is sort of a medium duty lathe and needs some restoration work.

I am really thinking about selling the 167 and buying something like a Jet 16-40 or a Laguna 18/36. But I am finding it hard to justify to myself spending the 2 grand difference between what I can sell the 167 for and what the Laguna or jet will cost me new.

Part of this is just sort of a vanity/retail therapy type of a purchase, but I have turned on a friends Jet and I like it better than the Oliver 167. I am also considering looking for a used Powermatic 3520A or 3520B, which have seemingly dropped on the market now that the C models have come out.

And yet I find it hard to part with the 167...and I can't quite justify the floor space for 3 lathes. Part of the other issue is that if I keep the 167 I am going to put in a three phase motor, a VFD, repaint, new bearings, etc. to bring it all up to spec. Which is time, money and effort I can put towards the new Jet/Laguna.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I think I am looking at enablement to buy a tool I really want (Jet) and enablement to keep a third lathe (the Oliver 167).

Thinking I would really like the swiveling head-stock of the Jet, the smoother tool rest and tail stock movements, and more intuitive controls.

Regards,

Chris

Get the Jet and keep both Olivers.

I currently have 3 lathes and am saving for a OneWay 2436, my dream lathe.

And am currently planning on keeping them all.
    Last edited by John M. Smith; 10-04-2018 at 8:17 PM.

Chris, I will give my opinion on justification for a new lathe. I recently bought a Jet 1640EVS, over 3 months ago. Yes, it was pricey for me, and for the type of turning I prefer to do, my Jet 1221VS worked just fine. It was to me more of a matter of desire than need. I finally just said to myself, if I can afford the 1640EVS, then just buy it. Had to sell off a some things from another hobby to afford it .

Now as to the Jet 1640EVS. In my opinion, it is a great lathe, and I am so pleased that I took the plunge. It is my go-to lathe now, the 1221VS being used for occasional duty. However, don't get me wrong; I still very much enjoy turning on the 1221VS. I have used my 1640EVS almost daily since I purchased it. You mentioned the "swiveling head-stock of the Jet". I have not yet used that feature. In fact, I still have the anti-swivel block in place which is the way the lathe comes. Let me know if you have any other questions on the Jet lathe.

Best wishes in your decision making process

If you sell your products, then it is worth it to step up. Other than that, I think you will find the new lathes much more user friendly. As far as the pivoting headstock, the only one I have seen that was done right is the one on the Vicmarc. The Jet has a sliding headstock, and if the motor end is up against the wall, you can slide the headstock, and have no use for the pivot. So many people get the sliding head stock lathes, and don't slide the headstock, which is why I got one in the first place, you have a short bed bowl lathe, and a long bed spindle lathe, so you don't have to bend over to turn with either one...

robo hippy

Thanks for the responses-I feel pretty strongly that i actually need to spend the money to upgrade and that it will be a worthwhile investment for my workshop. I will need to spend a bit of time saving up for this as my son is in college.

I do find the new lathes much more user friendly.

Chris, I had a PM 90 that I raised to an 18' swing. Great lathe, but only had 1hp motor and no VFD, so no low speed. I ended up buying the Laguna 18/36 and very happy with this lathe. I was able to look at the Jet and Laguna side by side at Woodcraft. For me the Laguna was the right choice. Floor to spindle height fit me better and I preferred 18" swing vs 16". I liked the control layout better. Rotating headstock doesn't interest me. The Jet is a fine lathe if that fits you better.

I am very satisfied going from the PM 90 to a modern lathe. Just more enjoyable. No regrets at all.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Consider that the Laguna you mentioned has 2hp and 2" more swing. The big thing I like about the Laguna (which I own) is that it has optional upgrades that you can get after. For instance, I just added a swing away tailstock to mine. Very convenient, but I didn't think I would appreciate it at purchase time. While the Laguna headstock does not swivel, it slides easily, so you might not miss the swivel as much.

When I was considering an upgrade from my Delta 46-450, I considered the Lagunas, the Robusts, and the PM 3520C. The latter two had more beef than I thought I'd need for the price. However, after having owned the Laguna for 6 months, I suspect it's big brother (24/36) is worthy of serious consideration for two reasons: The moveable switch, and the 3hp motor.

Let me say I feel your pain. I looked at every lathe possible but in the end I wanted to only buy once and not continue the upgrade game. In my mind Oneway, Robust, and Vicmarc are the best made products. I like the older equipment but I find you need to love to restore this stuff and using a newer more modern lathe is much more convenient. Maybe you can sell both and get a lathe that can cover all bases. I agree with Reed the vicmarc 240 I believe is the most solid swivel head lathe out there bar none. The AB robust features a sliding head which I do not care for because of the possibility of debree getting under it causing vibration which can be negated and I do not like fidgeting around with set ups, the faster I can make the changes the better. So sliding a head down to set up for working a bowl and then back for spindle is what I call fidgety, that being said the robust products are very well made and I do like them. I own a oneway 2436. with a 17inch extension on both ends which does everything want to do but can also be configured to do other things. I can add 60inches to it if need be I can add a large outboard attachment to turn up to 4 foot if I want. I do not think I will do any of this but I can if i need to. I would recommend a 3 hp machine because if you ever want to add this stuff you can without concern. I have started coring my bowls and it works just great. Down side is they are a little spendy. Find a used one, not easy to to with any of these because people tend to keep them but I bought mine used and saved a considerable amount of money. I guess I'm justifying the floor space you would gain, not having three machines. I think using a really good machine like the vic,oneway and robust has just been very satisfying, simple and enjoyable for a multitude of reasons I just tend to suggest them to anyone considering a new machine. I realize some people just can not justify the purchase I know I could not have when I still had kids at home.

Chris,
    We are but on this earth for a short time so my take on it was buy the best lathe for my purposes and enjoy turning without any regrets. I personally chose the original cast iron Laguna 24/36 and it turns bigger bowls than anyone wants. The only time I have moved the headstock was to do a 4 foot diameter architural turning for an old church house restoration. Every day I go into the shed i see her and I am still satisfied with my choice.
    Rgds,
    Richard.

Well, when you call it an "investment" you already know the answer to your question.

Chris,

I am purely a hobby turning. I work full time, and sometimes (too often) have to take breaks from hobbies.

I started turning with a general 160. Loved that lathe, and grew to like cast iron (just a personal thing, they all turn the same, Ford or Chevy?)

I came upon a oneway 1018 used and picked that up. I really liked the VFD variable speed.

Two years ago, I added a Vicmark (cast iron junkie..) I really like that machine. I had originally kept all three. I found myself turning on the Vicmarc and the Oneway, but the General was unused. I finally found a new home for the General this spring. I needed the space, so it was the logical thing to go in the shop.

As for justifying a lathe. It is a hobby, and for fun.

Both the Vicmark and the oneway make my hobby fun and challenge me to grow. For me, that is the justification.

Happy Turning
    Michael

Thanks for the response to everyone. Pondering your replies.

Chris