Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharpening a roughing gouge

It seems important to me to note that any type of tool is capable of grabbing the grinding wheel when supported a distance away from the wheel AND ground at a blunt angle. Also that any tool can be ground safely with a jig if ground at a acute angle.
    If the grinding angle is above 65 deg, be very careful when the tool is not supported near the grinding wheel.

Circling back to this. Thank you all. I have my new rest installed and have become comfortable and quick sharpening the roughing gouge (and skew and parting tool) without the v-arm - using only the rest. My skew and parting tools never gave me problems because the cutting edges are very acute.

I suppose the roughing gouge got closer and closer to 90 over time. This is now very obvious to me because each time I reset the v-arm, I was setting it to hit the nose (think microbevel ala flat blade sharpening). While that was always fast, I see now that it makes the angle more and more vertical over time (in my case years), which created the problem.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 10-19-2018 at 12:09 PM.

I finally measured the bevel angles on my roughing gouges. I measured six and they are all between 36-deg and 42-deg.

JKJ

It happened and scared the crap out of me. The bolts holding the grinder motor were a little loose and angle engaged the wheel too low. The gouge chipped as well as the wheel. I changed the angle and now give it a light touch. I am still spooked.