Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth buying a new in box saw stop pcs 1.75 hp from a private seller

Is it worth buying a new in box saw stop pcs 1.75 hp from a private seller

Is it worth buying a new in box saw stop pcs 1.75 hp from a private seller for $1200. It does not have the rails or fence so that would be an added expense. After looking at unboxing videos it seems there are several boxes that ship. the seller only has the main box where the table saw comes in.
    If so, what fence and rails do I purchase being that I have to buy it retail. I guess any option in on the table.

Why doesn’t the seller have the rest of the saw? Could it be stolen?

I would want to know the story, and there has to be a story behind a guy selling half of a new, unboxed, high-end tool like a Sawstop. Personally, I could never enjoy woodworking if I thought I cutting on a stolen saw.

It could be that the other part was "lost in shipment" or some such explanation. I'd be skeptical of that, because those involved would have wanted the "$1200" box sent back.
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Paul Lawrence LXXI

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Why doesn’t the seller have the rest of the saw? Could it be stolen?
    Or could be damaged/defective.

The seller buys pallets of goods wholesale and resells them so not stolen. As far as defective, I would not know until I power it up

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Klein View Post
    The seller buys pallets of goods wholesale and resells them so not stolen. As far as defective, I would not know until I power it up
    This kind of situation would have me thinking it could be stolen depending on his source for these "Pallets of Goods" or it could have been lost in shipment and settled with shipper and then it turned up in the corner of some freight company warehouse.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Nah, there are plenty of amazon resellers who buy pallets of damaged in freight or returned items.

I’ve bought from a guy that has his stuff in his garage in a nice suburban neighborhood. Same deal.

Whether it’s a deal or not is up to you. Figure out how much you’ll need to spend to make it a complete saw. I’d want it to be at least 30% off New from a store with warranty. A warranty with a sawstop especially is valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Nah, there are plenty of amazon resellers who buy pallets of damaged in freight or returned items.

I’ve bought from a guy that has his stuff in his garage in a nice suburban neighborhood. Same deal.

Whether it’s a deal or not is up to you. Figure out how much you’ll need to spend to make it a complete saw. I’d want it to be at least 30% off New from a store with warranty. A warranty with a sawstop especially is valuable.
    From what I understand looking at unboxing videos, it seems a complete basic sawstop PCS 175 comes in a minimum of 3 boxes, the saw, the rails, and the fence. It looks like all the small parts come inside the main box. So with that limited info, it looks like I will have to buy a new t-glide rails and fence for $500.

We had a huge Amazon, returned products, warehouse sale, here in Lebanon, TN. There were 3 SawStop's listed for sale, initially at 40% off and finally going to 70%.

I tried to find them, and was thinking of buying one, but the warehouse was dark and pretty unorganized.

So it could well be a legit item.

From the rails and fence standpoint, I just replace my SawStop PCS fence and rails with the Incra LS-TS system, so if you are looking for a set of rails, I might have some for sale.

om me if you are interested.

Chris,
    If the seller is, located south of Columbus, Ohio I've dealt with him and he's legit and good to work with.

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    Chris,
    If the seller is, located south of Columbus, Ohio I've dealt with him and he's legit and good to work with.

Cliff
    Agreed. .......

That incra setup is nice. How much does that sell for new. I know you are selling the original setup and I will message you in private about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    We had a huge Amazon, returned products, warehouse sale, here in Lebanon, TN. There were 3 SawStop's listed for sale, initially at 40% off and finally going to 70%.

I tried to find them, and was thinking of buying one, but the warehouse was dark and pretty unorganized.

So it could well be a legit item.

From the rails and fence standpoint, I just replace my SawStop PCS fence and rails with the Incra LS-TS system, so if you are looking for a set of rails, I might have some for sale.

om me if you are interested.

The Incra system was $1100 shipped to me. That didn't include the router lift ($350). I bought a Jessum Master Lift II. I have the Woodpecker's V2 lift in my router cabinet, but I think I'll like the Jessum unit better.

The Inca system was easy to install after I popped down to Tractor supply to buy four 8mm bolts. Incra sends you a bunch of different bolts for a variety of different saws, but not what was necessary for the SawStop.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Klein View Post
    Is it worth buying a new in box saw stop pcs 1.75 hp from a private seller for $1200. It does not have the rails or fence so that would be an added expense. After looking at unboxing videos it seems there are several boxes that ship. the seller only has the main box where the table saw comes in.
    If so, what fence and rails do I purchase being that I have to buy it retail. I guess any option in on the table.
    The unknown factors, the extra work and time I would put in to make it work (it is money, too), warranty issues. etc., I would walk away from it unless the total deal would save me at least 40% to 50% off the retail price. A 30% saving would not cut it for me.

I would've preferred an used SS that is working in front of my eyes when I turn it on. I cam make test cuts etc. before I close the deal. Woodworking is a hobby for me and I have had enough anxiety when working on a complex glueup! The last thing I want is suffer from any agony over a monster paperweight in my shop or on the driveway.

Simon