Thread: Sourcing cutterhead screws

Sourcing cutterhead screws

Awhile ago I posted about some mangled hex head screws in a rebate cutterhead I bought used. I was successful in gaining a foothold with a beater chisel and removing all the fasteners. Now, it is time to get new screws to mount the scribers back on the head and I’m having a hard time finding correct screws. They are flathead m5 screws. I ordered what I thought would work and they ended up being a bust. The pics are of the new m5 screws that were supposed to be correct. The cutterhead screws are black.

Here’s a link where I can buy one screw for 2 Euros if I was so inclined. https://www.advancedmachinery.co.uk/...utterheads-424

So what's your question? Are you looking for a source for a flat-head M5 screws? Do you care whether it is slotted head or socket head? And you mention the screw color. Is that a key requirement?

Have you tried McMaster-Carr?

Blog Entries
    Note that those screws have an undercut head, they are not ordinary countersunk screws. They are also probably hardened.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

In the metal working world insert screws are normally torx drive. Any reason not to just use standard insert screws?
    Bill D.

I'd take them to a machinist and get his take on what grade or type screws are needed in that application. He can either duplicate them or modify m5 screws of the proper grade while still providing them with enough strength for your application. The head might not turn out to be the deal you thought but cutters are not a great tool to experiment with. DAve

MCS has them. Do not buy made in China as you found they will strip the head.

Zoro has them probably for less money. Search for "indexable insert screws m5"

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...AaAlQiEALw_wcB
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-04-2018 at 9:58 AM.

I work for Rangate (engineered shaper tooling is our thing), and from time to time we send out the spare screws for our cutters as replacements. I can't comment on other manufacturers, but we would only be comfortable with the screws we designed the cutter for to act as replacements. We use a system called Logifix that is designed to use the screw to self-center the knife as the screw tightens in, so we wouldn't want to potentially change that with a different screw that isn't designed to work with it. We get pretty concerned about anything that could potential throw off the balance of the tool, as well.

First, the price is in pounds, not Euros so a little more than you thought. Personally, I would only use OEM screws or ones verified to be exactly the same so the mating surface of the knickers and screw meet correctly. If they are each at different angles the insert will likely break when tightened or worse break in use.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

haha Van that isnt good! Despite living in europe for 6 months, i dont know why i occasionally screw up those currency symbols.

I guess i have a few options; one, run the damn thing without the scribers and see how she does. Two, pay out the nose for some small screws. Looks like they will be $30ish to my door, so not all that awful. This cutterhead along with a dozen others were technically "free". I bought about 40 of these suckers at and auction and sold everything i didnt want/need for more than i paid for the whole lot. I guess i deserve to overpay for screws in this situation.

At the cost of those screws you may want to buy a torque adjustable screwdriver to tighten them.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I guess i deserve to overpay for screws in this situation.
    Look at it this way, if you find the exact screw at an industrial supply house they will probably be around a buck a piece (remember you are paying for them to stock as well as pick and pack them) you will likely incur around $7 to ship them at most supply houses, or you buy them in town for ~$4 for the four as well as fuel and wear and tear on your vehicle. I expect in the best case they will cost you about $10 so is your time and peace of mind knowing you have the correct screw worth $20, it would be for me.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.