Thread: Prototypes - Furniture design

Blog Entries

Prototypes - Furniture design

Hi all,

On my next project, I am thinking of doing something that will include materials that are new to me. I'll probably sub a decent amount out.

In order to keep costs down, I'd like to make a prototype and see if I like it first. Does anyone do this? Do you use cardboard first, then pine, and then finalize it? Do you scale it?

Any photos / description of your prototype work would be appreciated.

Cheers,

I do a prototype if the consequences of getting it wrong are too severe - either financial or grief from the recipient. The most recent example was for a set of chairs and matching bar stools. I used scrap plywood and timber regardless of species. The first version was not quite right so I just screwed extensions and modifications to components to get the look of it right, and then worked on the engineering to achieve what was required. I was able to present a full size mock up to the client who decided on the spot that it was what they wanted. It probably added 20 hours to a job that took several weeks. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Blog Entries
    Pallet wood prototype full size for the joinery in a night stand idea.

proto-no-drawer-1.jpg

Reduced prototype out of construction lumber for a pedestal table foot study.

n-Ped-Table-foot-1.jpg

Since I got marginal with SketchUp I haven't done any prototypes to speak of. . No full sized plans anymore either. you don't have to be an expert with it to get some serious benefit.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I like that table leg, the prototype looks like it took a while too.

Thanks for the feedback. I have some furniture design books that I've been flipping thru over the years. I'd like to sort of step back from the building process on the next project and try my hand at being a designer. This could potentially open up new doors for me (materials, expertise, etc). I am worried about vendor quality though.

I have so many ideas and such limited time that I think some fraction of designing and building may be a good fit for me.

Blog Entries
    well, I just scrolled down and saw someone asked a very similar question. My bad. I never saw anyone ask a question like this, so I assumed there wasn't another person asking it. My bad.

andrew whicker,

So, you're going to be making whicker furniture? - Sorry,..

If a major part of the design development is new materials, I'd suggest a 3D model such as Sketchup that Glenn Bradley mentioned. The model will be to scale and with Sketchup, the materials can be changed in a fraction of a second and views from every angle and details quickly extracted. For example, here's a 10-minute drawing:

SC_Table Materials_SKP TST_View 1_10.4.18.jpg

SC_Table Materials_SKP TST_View 2_10.4.18.jpg

SC_Table Materials_SKP TST_View 3_10.4.18.jpg

It's much faster when developing a design, and you can use the Sketchup drawings as the basis for the finished plans.

Alan Caro

I usually do a full size drawing on cardboard just to finesse proportions. Like many, though, I tend to refine and change on the fly. Admittedly, this can be pretty inefficient at times if tools need to be re-setup to make changes.

This is a little off topic but is close. I design and build small boxes or clocks in batches. I may build 5 or 10 but the first one is always either poplar or red oak, both of which are inexpensive around here. I check the machine setup with the cheap lumber before cutting the more expensive stock. In this way, I end up with several identical boxes that fit together nicely and one that may or may not be perfect that I will keep for future reference.

I have done prototypes a number of times. Sometimes that was pretty basic/temporary and sometimes I have built something to spec out of less expensive material to confirm the design. Don't underestimate the value of "digital prototypes", too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As a hobbyist I usually create full size drawing of the project. My builds are usually an amalgamation of various pieces so I may create six or eight drawings before getting the one that hangs on the shop wall. I use a 36” roll of 1/2 inch graph paper bought on amazon.

I'm also a hobbyist. I started making prototypes for my work a couple of years ago and I have found it immensely useful. For the last four pieces I've done my workflow has been to start with sketches, then 1/4 or 1/2 scale drawings, then a 1/4 or 1/2 scale model. For the models I like to use MDF because I can just cut out pieces and shape with files if necessary, then hot glue it together. Not having a figure and being uniform color let's me see the form and proportions with less distraction. One other tip that I got from a local woodworker/designer was to photograph the model from different angles against a blank background, then examine the photos. A photo helps remove any size references and lets me better visualize the piece full size. Once I have the proportions worked out in these quick and dirty models, then I make a full size prototype out of cheap scraps of whatever I have around. The full size prototype helps reveal any tricky joinery issues. Since I'm building for myself, I can also take the prototype into the room where the piece will live and see if it fits. I then usually make full size drawings as well to record dimensions and build details. At that point the final build usually goes without a hitch.

Here are a couple of 1/4 scale models for a coffee table I made last year, and the finished build. The models were really helpful for working out the apron and stretcher designs, and the dimensions of the base relative to the top.
    IMG_0022.jpgIMG_0073.jpgIMG_0283.jpg